View Single Post
Old June 28th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #43 (permalink)
hakr100

Device(s): HTC/Verizon Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330D View Post
Maybe if we gave foster and or adoptive families more of a monetary supplement, there would be a lot more.... I would do it in a second, but could never afford to, as it stands now. I'm not saying that we need to "buy" these kids families, but I am sure it could help the problem of there not being enough foster families.
It would take more than a "monetary supplement" for society to successfully place the burden for these hundreds of thousands or millions of these kids on foster families. Foster kids who are not placed with wealthy families are only given the short end of the stick in terms of financial and emotional support. There's only enough there for the cheapest of medical care, usually the worst schools, and very rare counselling. We'd really have to redo the entire system for it to be effective.

And when foster kids reach 18, then what? As it is now, there's no more support. Many find themselves on the streets.

I'm not defending drug-addicted parents with minor children.What i am positing is that the solution is far more complex and expensive than anyone is envisioning.