So, there are a lot of threads here asking questions, a lot of which have been repeated. I've also seen some FAQs here and there, but none of them were really comprehensive. I'm going to try to compile as many questions and answers as possible in this thread as well as some useful info and tips and tricks. Hopefully a mod can sticky this as well. If anyone has anything else to suggest or add please let me know.
- - - Physical - - -
Will the Droid fit into either dock with a protective case?
No, only the flat adhesive plastic-type protectors (InvisibleShield) are slim enough to allow the phone to fit.
How easy is it to scratch the Droid?
The glass on top of the screen is very durable and keys will have a very hard time scratching it (I've tried). There are a couple videos of people trying to scratch it as well and failing. The bits of shiny plastic on the back can get scratched, though. Look here
- - - Hardware features - - -
What's the resolution of the Droid?
What do the two dots/holes at the top of the Droid do?
The one on the left is an IR emitter and sensor to blank the phone during a call when it's against your face. The one on the right is a light sensor to activate automatic brightness.
Can I change the color of the notification LED?
Yes, but only with third party apps like Missed Call and SMS Popup.
How do I get into the two dock modes without the docks?
For multimedia mode, download an app called DockRunner. For car mode, Android actually includes an application called Car Home. You can also hack it by putting a linearly polarized magnet, like a small cube magnet, on the back near the camera.
Can I tether?
Yes. Set it up through Verizon or look here.
- - - Performance issues - - -
What's wrong with my camera?
As of yet, the camera software is sort of broken and takes a long time to focus and save. It will supposedly be fixed in an update on December 11.
Why won't my home screen switch to landscape mode when rotated?
Nobody knows yet, but so far everybody has this problem. This fix might be included with the next update.
Why does switching homescreens or opening trays lag?
Homescreen lag/jerk is present on all Droids at the moment, but I've found that the Locale service really drains your CPU and makes animations lag even more. Also try using a task manager to free up some memory.
- - - Android OS and apps - - -
Why won't my phone rotate?
Check to make sure you have automatic rotation enabled in the sound and display settings.
Why does my screen dim randomly?
It's the automatic brightness feature. Turn it off in the sound and display settings under brightness.
How can I see what's been using my battery?
Go to settings, about phone, then battery use.
How do I check for phone updates?
Go to settings, about phone, then system updates.
Why won't my apps close completely/how do I kill programs?
Get a task manager from the app store such as TasKiller; the services manager in the Applications page in the settings isn't very useful.
How do I uninstall apps?
Press the menu button, go to settings, applications, manage applications, then select the program from the list and uninstall.
How do I check for updates for my apps?
Go to the Market, then press the menu button, then Downloads. If you have any programs that need updates they'll be at the top of the list.
How do I rename folders?
Click the folder to open it, then long press the gray bar at the top of it.
How do I open voice search?
Long press on the search button on the phone.
How do I remove widgets and icons?
Long press it, then move to the app tray button which will then have a trash can icon on it.
What size should my backgrounds be if I don't want to crop it on the phone?
Can I make my wallpaper crop square bigger?
Press on a corner of the crop box and then drag it to size.
What size should my contact photos be to prevent pixelation?
I'd say around 250x250 or higher.
How many apps can I download and store on the Droid?
As many as will fit in the onboard 256MB as of now, but you can put any other type of file on the SD card.
- - - Music and video - - -
Why is the Droid's video recording quality so bad?
Open the video camera application, open the menu, and set the video quality to high.
Why doesn't the Droid have a video player/play my video files?
The video player is in the gallery. You have to open the gallery and the folder with your video. Only videos encoded in MPEG-4/H.264 (.mp4) will play, and it shouldn't be larger than 854x480-ish or your phone might stutter or crash.
How can I transcode video to play on the Droid?
Some people have had luck with a program called Handbrake, but I use SUPER
even though it's a bit complicated to use.
How do I get songs, video, etc. onto the Droid?
How do I get my computer to see the Droid's SD card?
Plug in the USB cable, then bring down the notification tray. Click on the one about USB, then click mount.
Why do Youtube videos look so bad?
When the video starts playing, click menu, more, and "watch in high quality".
- - - Verizon - - -
How much does it cost for unlimited data?
For unlimited phone data, it's $30 a month on top of voice and other features.
- - - Tips, tricks, and cool stuff - - -
Where can I get high-res backgrounds for the Droid?
or at DPReview
for some nice pictures. Just make sure they're close to 960x854 or bigger.
- - - Recommended apps - - -
- my personal favorite - lets you close unused apps and processes as well as ignore ones you always want running; comes with a couple widgets to quickly close applications
- saves voicemail to your GMail account and transcribes them to text
- all-in-one IM suite
- custom ring and vibrate settings as well as LED color and settings
- replacement for Android SMS notifier (turn stock off to prevent doubles)
- allows you to save MMS attachments
- detailed WiFi information and settings
Music and sound
Album Art Grabber
- gets missing album art for your music
- sine, square, saw, and triangle wave generator
- customizable instrument tuner; also works for voice and other sounds
- open while playing a song and will open its lyrics
- enables Last.fm scrobbling in the Android music player
- online radio
- analyzes a part of a song that's playing through speakers and tells you the name and artist
- MS Paint-like app
- basic editor and online album
- multitouch image viewer/editor
- press once when you park and saves your location on its map, and will show your location as well so you can find your parking spot
Find My Droid
- lets you turn up the volume and activate ring and GPS to locate your phone; uses an SMS code phrase
Google Places Directory
- lists categories of places in your location; searchable
- 360 degree compass, horizontal and vertical level, g-force sensor, magnetic field sensor, GPS location in long/lat, shows speed and elevation
- stores your car information
- scans various types of bar codes and Google searches them
- text, drawing, and voice note program
- comprehensive dictionary with multiple add-ons available
- PDF viewer
- barcode scanner with built-in product lookup
- Ookla's speedtest.net application
Bank of America
- online banking and account management
- comprehensive currency converter
Security and other
- enables multimedia dock mode without needing the dock
Find My Droid
- see above
G-backup (trial and pay)
- backs up almost anything you want to Google's servers
- shows your phone's IP
- converts input text to speech