View Single Post
Old November 16th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #63 (permalink)
rawness

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazed View Post
The best analogy would be keeping food in your pantry for quick access. The pantry is RAM. Retrieving food from your pantry is nice and quick, but getting food to the pantry from the store (SD card or other semi-permanent storage) takes time. The optimal thing to do is to keep the pantry filled close to capacity.

Running a task killer is essentially taking the entire contents of your pantry back to the store for a refund, only to have to drive back and re-purchase your food (one meal at a time) when you're ready to eat.
That's a weak analogy.

Taking things back to the store would be like uninstalling apps (we'd have to go back to the market to get those apps again). It's more like choosing to put food back in the pantry, as opposed to leaving it on the kitchen table. If I'm eating cereal, then I may keep the box next to me on the table, because I may want more. But when I'm through, and I know I'm through, I'd rather put that cereal back in the pantry. Sure, it'll take longer to go all the way to the pantry to get more cereal when I want more cereal, but if that's not going to happen until tomorrow morning, I don't want that box of cereal taking up space on my kitchen table...especially when lunch and dinner come around and I'll need to make room for the sandwiches and steaks.

I likes a clean kitchen
Last edited by rawness; November 16th, 2009 at 11:45 AM.