View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2009, 05:50 AM   #112 (permalink)
Cruzatte

Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick202 View Post
I think a distinction needs to be made between some of these apps that we seem to be grouping together.

Some apps (atk, I believe) monitor device and system usage and automatically kill processes. I can see why this would be a problem if not properly set up. It needs to be monitoring all the time, and as standard, will kill apps arbitrarily.

Other apps (taskiller) are just a quick press of an icon to kill processes/apps when you feel it's needed. You can set it up to ignore certain things if you wish, but again, you need to set it up properly.

Lets just make sure we're all talking about the same thing here - and that we want the same results from it.

If I've had a heavy days usage, and then I try to play android golf (for example) it *sometimes* stutters and the sound stammers a bit. I come out of it, hit the taskiller icon and all is well again. I use it when I need to, and it's just one click. I have it set up to ignore twidroid, sense and a few other things I want left alone.
Right--it's the constant monitoring of ATK's "taskbar widget" that gets you in trouble in terms of system usage. It displays all non-ignored tasks and refreshes every 30 seconds. (Although I think you're slightly mistaken--ATK and TasKiller are actually the same app; the former is "Advanced TasKiller," the pay version.)

If you're running TasKiller in such a way that it's single-click, that means you've got the 1x1 widget running... I'm sure that's better than the 3x1 widget (1x1 doesn't display the task icons or, as far as I know, do the 30 sec. refresh), but I prefer to just have a shortcut to the app itself on my homescreen. It means I'm two clicks away from a kill, but it also kills itself--so there's no monitoring until you open it, and all ATK-related processes are shut down once you do the kill. If you're super usage-conscious, that's the way to go.

Edit: I really should stress that everything's better without any task-managing widgets/apps actually running. When I made the change and began opening the ATK app from scratch, everything got zippier.
Last edited by Cruzatte; November 18th, 2009 at 06:18 AM. Reason: addition