View Single Post
Old July 23rd, 2010, 09:04 AM   #92 (permalink)
sonicanatidae

Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Another Method

From: Workaround for Fixing 'Unsupported Sources' - Page 2 - xda-developers

Quote:
NOTE: You MUST have root access in order for this to work

sqlite3 is included in the Android SDK tools, so this would be the best way:

• COMMON
  • Enable USB debugging (settings > applications > development > USB Debugging)
  • adb remount
  • adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db

Linux/OS X
  • echo "update secure set value = 1 where name = 'install_non_market_apps';"|./sqlite3 settings.db

WINDOWS
  • echo update secure set value = 1 where name = 'install_non_market_apps';|sqlite3 settings.db

COMMON
  • adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
  • Reboot phone and sideloading works. (thanks fluffyarmada)

Additional Information and why you shouldnt download and install someone else's settings.db.

Quote:
You will lose your settings if you use the attached settings.db file. Your best bet is to pull the file off your phone, edit it with something that understands sqlite3's database format, and then push it back. It's just better that way.

Further EDIT:: As someone pointed out later in this thread, this file unbeknownst to me when I shared it, actually has a unique ID by which phones can be identified on the android market, etc. While this isn't a huge deal, it can lead to some rather strange behavior... my phone for example has started attempting to download apps from the android market all by itself.

So--- if you want to side-load apps, change the variable in the database like I explained above.