View Single Post
Old August 3rd, 2010, 06:59 PM   #129 (permalink)
Silversurfmonkey

Device(s): HTC Desire
Carrier: Not Provided

First post and it's a rant I'm afraid. Had a Desire but returned it due to the the absence of the following items - all of which are basic features that we've enjoyed for years on dumb phones. Now returning my iP4 due to it's inherent crapness as a phone, which leaves me in a bit of a pickle...

THE BASIC STUFF

1. A battery that lasts from when I get up to when I go to bed
The iPhone manages it so why the f*&( can't Android handsets do the same? And please, don't give me the BS about "... my Desire running for 36hrs so far and it's still on 40%...". Yeah, maybe if you don't actually use the damn thing. My iP3G with WiFi and bluetooth running all day, 1-2hrs of calls and 5 mail accts on IMAP, plus shed loads of data used to go the distance, as does my soon to be returned iP4. Am I missing something here?

2. A decent screen
AMOLED = great indoors, crap everywhere else. SAMOLED = rocking horse poo (Samsung, you tight bast@úds!).

3. Bluetooth voice dialling
Why is this not available? I - and many other users - have to make and take calls in the car. What possible reason could there be for not including this in such otherwise advanced devices? And as for HTC deliberately canning BT v-dial in the 2.2 Desire OTA, what a bunch of c^%*$!

4. Pocketable size
Granted, bricks like the Evo 4G and Droid X are very nice if you can ignore the feeble battery life, but they're ridiculously huge! If you really want a huge screen, buy a f&^$ing tablet. I want my phone to fit in a pocket without tailoring alterations. iP, Desire, N1 are all plenty big enough thanks.

THE NICE TO HAVES...

5. A cursor control for text entry
The Desire optical tracking thingy is great; it lets you quickly and accurately insert/edit text. The Galaxy S would actually be a viable option if it had one, didn't have such a crap UI and wasn't made by Samsung. When trying one in a store again this week I was baffled by the lack of any usable means of navigating text fields. Instead, I resorted to stabbing ineffectively at the screen in order to compose any written content.

6. Hardware buttons
I guess touch-sensitive buttons are okay from a 'minimal moving parts' perspective, but I still don't think you can beat a decent hardware button for tactile feedback and reassurance that you've pressed the right thing. The Desire is spot on in that respect.

7. No more network or manufacturer UIs
Please, for the love of god, can the networks and manufacturers please stop dicking around with what is essentially a very solid OS. All they achieve is to slow the release cycle, add bloat and restrict just how effectively you can personalise your device; and that option to personalise is one of the great wins Android has over iOS. Wouldn't it be nice if they just concentrated on making decent hardware - addressing the basic stuff above - and left the OS/UI stuff to those who are good at it?

Ahhh, that's better.