View Single Post
Old August 4th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #509 (permalink)
StrifeJester

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus XOOM Nook GoogleTV Nexus S 4G Acer Iconia Tab 100
Carrier: Not Provided

Send a message via AIM to StrifeJester Send a message via Skype™ to StrifeJester StrifeJester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RgnKjnVA View Post
I seriously want to ask some lawyer friends of mine about a civil suit against Verizon re: fees for usb tethering. It's double dipping. All VZ brings to the table for this feature is a data connection, one that we are ALREADY required to pay for UNLIMITED DATA. I can understand limiting HOTSPOT because in that case you potentially have non-subscribers mooching off of VZs bandwidth. However, in USB tethering there is a one-to-one relationship between the subscriber's device and a computer. Therefore, what is the justification for this arbitrary fee? Am I missing something here?
The thing I think you are missing is that you pay for device data which is generally smaller. Using your phone as a modem is different its not what the device was intended for and they have stand alone devices for that such as the mifi hotspot or other dedicated cards. I agree you should be able to tether and there are plenty of ways to do it without paying the extra but for all intents and purposes you are using the phone as a modem and can chew up the data you would normally use in a matter of minutes instead of days this way. My average data usage is under 500MB on my phone, my consumption on my netbook with WWAN is well over 3GB a month when i use it heavily.