View Single Post
Old August 17th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #106 (permalink)
ms_green

Device(s): HTC Legend
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by strategy View Post
Thanks for asking.

The permission is actually READ_PHONE_STATE (why Google decided that this should be identified as Phone Calls in the long description I don't know - and I hate it, because it is very misleading).

What it does is provide Read Only access to the phone state. It is required to get the device id of the phone, which is used by some advertising networks for account/audit purposes - e.g., to prevent the same phone receiving the same ads repeatedly or to prevent fraud (your clicks = small earning for me. If one device suddenly started registering 100s of clicks, however, the ad networks would start becoming suspicious).

I am currently discussing the new permissions with the ad network involved, but I think their need for this is understandable. I may decide to drop them anyway (it's not as if the earnings from ads is anything worth bragging about in any case), but for the moment I have upgraded the module as per their wishes.
wow, thank you very much for this detailed answer! now i finally know what this read phone state actually means im gonna download the game and give it a try. (of course i used the "thanks - button")