Captivate shortcomings you can and can't fix
After using the Captivate for 2 weeks, here's my list of its most glaring shortcomings and how you can fix some of them. Although the tone of this message is negative, I do love the device and do not regret choosing it.
If you can add items to this thread, especially ones that can be fixed, this can be a useful thread for new owners.
Shortcomings you can fix:
1. Missing LED notification. I miss blinking notification on my old BlackBerry devices. Fix = NoLED app.
2. Soft keyboard. It is functional and the input by voice option works okay. But I do miss physical keyboards I used on BlackBerry and Treo devices. Fix = Swype. This is a revolutionary input option.
3. Default Mail App. I connect to Corp. Exchange and this app sets the mobile email experience 5 years back! Fix = TouchDown and $20. Some users reported lags and crashes. Take a test drive.
Shortcomings you cannot fix:
1. Battery. Charging twice-a-day to get about 3 hours of actual data use is a tough pill. Taking people's advice and limiting widget and wifi use will make minimum improvements.
2. Charger and USB port. The stock charger fits so poorly into the USB port you would think it's a $1 aftermarket one. The slightest phone move will disconnect the charger.
Edit: Read responses below for a fix!
3. Missing Trackpad. I did use an HTC Aria and the trackpad is very helpful for moving the cursor and editing text. Fat fingers will miss it!