View Single Post
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #81 (permalink)
JuniorNA

Device(s): Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by true View Post
JuniorNA,

you are correct in that you will not be receiving updates through the Market if you reinstall the apps from Astro as a backup file. Going to the Market after a backup install will not relink the application.

what i would suggest is, since youre already losing the information on your apps, just erase them with the update and reinstall from the Market. dont even bother with backing them up.

uninstalling the app after reinstalling it as a backup is counterintuitive.
just skip that step and reinstall straight from the market.

some users have been using an app called "AppBrain." i have no experience with this app so i wouldnt know its functions. it might be able to relink the applications somehow, but as far as i know apps that are reinstalled from a backup are then considered 3rd party and no longer update.

p.s thanks for the kind words!

True, I'm sure this will help many people that have the same question about these . You're absolutely right, it's pointless to backup apps then reinstall AGAIN. I'd rather write them down and then go to the market and redownload, it's not that many anyway.

Thanks again.
Real quickly i'd like to point out that the Error code 170 was received during the update, but all i did was install HTC sync on this machine, plug in phone, let it recognize some devices, left HTC sync open and it went through with no problems.