View Single Post
Old August 31st, 2010, 09:08 AM   #483 (permalink)
UBRocked
VZW Nexus Please!!!

Device(s): See my signature...this section isn't big enough anymore!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanked 1,593 Times in 863 Posts
ubrocked@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider5634 View Post
LMAO ... You know, this is flash memory we're talking about. Theoretically, once a bit state has been changed to 0 or 1 it's permanent (minus the effects of extreme age without any applied power). This isn't like a HDD where heat can affect the stability of bit states (See superparamagnetic effect).

I suppose it all depends on the level of wiping it's doing. If it's only wiping the partition table, the data is still there; the OS just can't read it because it has no reference on how to convert the string of bits into something usable. If it's actually rewriting the partition with all 1's or 0's (essentially a full wipe) then there's no data there at all. In either case, you should only have to perform the wipe once. The only way you'd need to do it again would be if the utility performing the wipe is wholly inadequate and isn't doing its job.
Not to rehash this...but I'll give you my take and people can do what makes them feel good

I totally get what you are saying and it makes logical sense. I will tell you that in my experience, wiping multiple times has "appeared" to make a difference. I wipe once if upgrading from LFY 1.4 to 1.5 for example but if I were completely switching ROMs...I'd wipe each partition 2 or 3 times. Just the way I do it...not saying if it is needed or not