View Single Post
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
sooper_droid12

Device(s): MotoDROID
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceo View Post
The way I see it is the Droid has the focus and any other possible competitor to it would be totally locked down to secrecy, otherwise it would destroy the droid's existing sales. I would imagine that there is no way anything would be even truly leaked until at least 30 dys after droids began sales and probably even 60 days just to lock in the moto droid base, so that any droid user dying for the newest phone would have to buy it at full price.

The way I see it, there is no way I am going to be stuck with a Moto droid for 2 years as lacking as that device is when Sense + Android 2.1 on anything resembling the HD2 hardware comes out even if it takes a year. I would go back and put up with my POS Touch pro. Droid is nice but it just doesn't, no matter what the commercial says. The HD2 hardware with HTC Sense + Android is the first device that has the potential to truly far exceed the Iphone and with Verizons obvious desire to crush Iphone and AT&T I cant imagine it happening sooner than later.
How do you know that? 1) How do you know that HTC will be running Sense + 2.1? From what's been rumored, it's only running 2.0. What makes the DROID so lacking? Have you even owned one to give it a fair shake? My bet is no, you haven't. Sense UI is just a skin for Android -- a 3rd party app.

As far as HD2 hardware is concerned, nothing I've seen so far impresses me, even at full clock, especially since it got its butt handed to it by an iPhone 3Gs running the OMAP3 SOC processor. As far as dethroning said iPhone, the HTC no matter how powerful people think it might be, or how slick it UI, it still suffers from the same problems that cripples any phones attempt to knock off the iPhone:

1) No iTunes environment, market interface is still lacking
2) No widespread adoption in applications (10K vs. 100K)
3) No widespread availability of 3rd party accessories, etc.

Until then, no matter how slick the device, iPhone will always win. Because if the DROID proved anything, it's faster, it's screen is more brilliant, it's powerful... but it still hasn't swayed iPhone users. The one knock is that it doesn't look like a chick phone. HTC may have that, but still won't get people moving away from iPhone to get it.