View Single Post
Old September 25th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #79 (permalink)
makemehavefun

Device(s): Samsung Fascinate : Rooted, Voodoo_0.2, bing and bloat free
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by saps View Post
My niece who is like 19-20 attends the local community college in the town she lives. She applied to work at VZW retail store without any sales experience or phone knowledge. She got the job. I adore my niece but this is the kind of example Im talking about. She at least is nice but she is not tech savvy. Basically there are 3 kinds of reps at VZW corporate stores. 1) Pushy commission driven A-holes who don't have clue about phones ~ 80% 2) Nice friendly people who don't have a clue ~ 15% 3) Helpful friendly knowledge reps ~ 5%. If you find this third catergory take a picture they're like bald eagles.
Man, I really wish I had an experience that involved someone who was 'nice', 'helpful' or 'knowledgeable'. My experience involved "Category 1" at three different Corporate stores and one 'Premium Retailer'.

Ok, I lied a little bit. When I finally just returned my 2nd Fascinate in order to get one at BestBuy for their protection plan(thereby eliminating any further interaction with Verizon store employees), the lady was very nice and didn't drop an attitude on me. It was like a breath of fresh, clean, mountain spring air... paradise really.

Your niece now works for Verizon and if she wants to keep her job then she can't really 'rock the boat' in a commissioned-sales environment like that. I know this from experience. Just please remind her to not lose her 'soul' in the process and stay 'human'. People may disagree with me, but in my experience when it comes to 'retail', friendliness and basic respect always trumps 'knowledge'. GL to her.