View Single Post
Old October 19th, 2010, 11:43 PM   #47 (permalink)
cabbie
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): HTC Hero, HTC EVO4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by icereignblack View Post
So I have a question about the Kernels? I have my Evo root with a stock rom with root access. Now I understand that the kernel is the "bedframe" of the phone while the rom is the "mattress". I also understand that you can use apps like rom manager to change the roms. I am slightly confused on the changing the Kernel. So if I have a kernel that is not optimized for a Rom that I would want to run, how do I go about changing it? Do I have to use the ADB again or is it possible to use the ROM manager to change a Kernel as well as a rom?
this is a little vague. What ROM and Kernel are you talking about? I don't imagine huge issues occuring unless you flash a kernel designed for an AOSP ROM like Cyanogen vs one with SenseUI like Fresh. If you want to change a kernel, all you have to do is flash it (always wipe cache and dalvikcache before doing so). Just put it on the root of your SD card and go nuts.

Going to add AOSP to the lexicon now
Phone Carrier: Sprint ~~ Phone: HTC EVO 4G ~~ Android: 2.2 (Froyo) ~~ Software #: 3.70.651.1 ~~ ROM: FreshEvo 3.5.0.1 ~~ Kernel: One of the various SBC ones ~~ Baseband: 2.15.00.11.19 ~~ PRI 1.90_003 ~~ PRL: 60672