First time posting here. Just want to start off by saying that the reason why I made this guide is so that people could just click on one thread rather than search and sift through hundreds of them to find out how to root, deodex, and install a custom ROM/Theme as well as finding a solution to unbricking their phones. So, as people with solutions always like to mention, I am in no way responsible for you damaging your phone by following this guide!
Included is (hopefully) a prettsy straightforward set of directions. There is also a guide to unbricking your phone in case you happen to miss some of the steps. Also, credits to the individuals that created these programs for our use on the android forums. I DID NOT MAKE THESE PROGRAMS I am merely the tour guide getting you through the maze that is the customization of your droid x! I hope these directions are helpful! Also, at the bottom there is one issue that I ran into, which is double text messages (two of the same texts NOT the double notification problem that most people seem to be having), which I fixed by using Titanium Backup to uninstall the stock messaging app. Hope this is helpful guys and feel free to comment and add some stuff to the "Troubleshooting" section.
Making Modifications to Your Droid X (From rooting, to deodexing, to installation of custom ROMs and themes…
NOTE: I am not responsible for you bricking your phone! If you have trouble with the directions and manage to brick your phone there are instructions below for a fix.
****Perform following steps on a Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP platform. A Mac User guide will follow later.
****PHONE BASE PLATFORM: FROYO 2.2.1
DO NOT TRY TO DO THIS ON ANY EARLIER VERSION OF ANDROID AS I DO NOT KNOW THE CONSEQUENCES OF DOING SO. SIFTING THROUGH THE PAGES OF MANY A FORUM I DON'T KNOW IF THIS WILL BE PLEASANT FOR YOU IF YOU TRY!
I. Some General Guidelines (PERFORM THESE STEPS BEFORE installing ANY custom ROMs or Themes)….
Here is a checklist of what should be accomplished before trying to install any custom modification on your stock Droid X. I’m writing this to make sure that no one else has to suffer the indecencies of browsing through thousands of android forums for god knows how many hours trying to figure out how to do this by piecing together fragments of information….the guys out there on the forums know their stuff but sometimes it can be tough to navigate through what they know so I’m going to try to put the instructions in layman’s terms. I am by no means preaching that I am better at this than any other DX user (I am not, I can assure you that) so please don’t take anything the wrong way!
THESE ARE JUST GENERAL GUIDELINES I WILL GO INTO DETAILS FOR EACH STEP AFTER I LIST OUT THE BASICS!!!!!
A. ROOT FIRST : Without rooting your Droid X, you will not be able to access the restricted files that are normally locked on your stock DX and will not be able to make any modifications to your DX)
B. CONFIRM THAT ROOT HAS WORKED: you can check this by making sure that an app called “Superuser Permissions” has installed in your app drawer.
C. DEODEX YOUR FROYO: don’t worry about what this really means…just know that it’s necessary for the custom ROMs to function with respect to changing fonts, widgets, frame appearance, etc. If you want a real explanation, google it…as I’ve said before there are hundred and thousands of forums dedicated to explaining what this actually does. Without deodexing your Droid X (or any other android-based platform) you will most likely not be able to install any of the current custom ROMs and themes that are available for download. ****NOTE: With the release of 2.2.1, there are known issues of android users bricking their phones while trying to use 928Droid's BlackGlassTheme. This deodexed theme was designed for 2.3.15 and NOT 2.3.340. Please ignore this step below and I will post a more updated way of deodexing in the future. Other than manually deodexing your phone, it seems that at this point installing a theme that is not deodex compatible won't be reasonably easy in the near future due to the release of 2.2.1
D. Download and install ONLY DEODEXED ROMs (or Themes) using BOOTSTRAP APP. If you try to install a ROM that is not deodex compatible you will brick your phone. I have directions to unbrick your phone at the end of this manual.
E. IF ALL OF THIS FAILS AND YOU SOMEHOW MANAGE TO BRICK YOUR PHONE…UNBRICKING INSTRUCTIONS BELOW AS WELL!
II. THE JOURNEY BEGINS…
A. ROOTING (this step has now been revised). There are various one-click root methods out there as of December 10, 2010. Dark Onion's root program is a little buggy with the 2.2.1 release and I will no longer be using DO's rooting method until the issues are resolved. Regardless the one-click methods are much simpler and I am providing a link to Z4's one-click rooting .APK file that you can drag and drop into your phone's SD Card folder.
Download z4root 1.3.0 for Android Free - z4root will root your device and enable you to supply system level access to applications that request it. - Softpedia
1. You must first download the app "App Installer" onto your phone from the Market and install the Z4 one click root .apk file manually.
2. Open Z4's file and press "root".
3. If it hasn't loaded in 20 seconds or less perform a battery pull and restart your phone and attempt to root your phone again through the Z4 program. It should work now.
B. DEODEXING ***WARNING: With the release of 2.2.1 I have experienced a few bricks myself trying to deodex using blackglass' theme (as have many others due to my unedited guide and for that I am very sorry guys!). OMJ has taken the liberty of editing this section so unless you are sticking with 2.2 DO NOT FOLLOW THIS NEXT SECTION. Once again thanks for the edit OMJ. I will post a new method of trying to theme your phone but it seems that with the release of 2.2.1 there are issues that many developers haven't resolved so using a deodexed theme isn't very practical at this point... Warning this step does not work with 2.2.1
1. Now that your phone is rooted, you can now download and install clockworkmod’s “Droid X Recovery Bootstrap” app in the app market. Do not use this program after installing just yet! There are a few more steps!
2. Download but DO NOT UNZIP 928’s BlackGlass Theme here: 928Droid Themes for the Droid X
This program will automatically Deodex your Droid X and install the custom BlackGlass Theme. There is another option to manually deodex your phone but that’s a far more complicated option compared to this alternative.
3. Place your DROID X into “USB Mass Storage” mode (originally it was PC MODE but now we need to switch to USB Mass storage in order to access the SD Card storage).
4. Drag and drop the zipped 928 BlackGlass onto your sdcard. You can make a separate folder for this on your SD Card labeled “custom themes/roms” and place the file there. You will later access this file through Bootstrap Recovery in order to install the custom ROM/Theme (or any other ROM or theme hereinafter).
5. Open the Bootstrap app in your app drawer and press “Bootstrap Recovery”. Click “Allow” if the Superuser Permissions window pops up. Make sure to do this step before rebooting. Some users have been having issues with the phone not rebooting into recovery and it's usually because they skipped this step
6. Press “Reboot Recovery” and your phone will reboot into recovery mode.
7. Allow the recovery mod to boot (it will take less than a minute after the Motorola logo pops up). You should see a series of options in green font.
8. Use volume up/volume down buttons on the phone to control scrolling and use the red camera button to select a particular option. Use the phone’s back function (second button from right on front of phone) to move back to previous screen options. Scroll down to “Backup and restore” and backup your current stock froyo. This process takes a very long time so be patient with it. I recommend that you Backup the first time you try modifying your phone in any way because if you brick, you're going to lose everything! I’m personally skipping this step because I’ve done it before and the backup process takes a very long time.
9. Select “install zip from sdcard”
10. Select “choose zip from sdcard” and find “928DroidBlackGlassX-DroidX-OTA2315-DeOdexEERR-THEME.ZIP”
11. Confirm the install by scrolling down to “Yes-Install 928DroidBlackGlassX-DroidX-OTA2315-DeOdexEERR-THEME.ZIP”
12. If you’re watching the install process you will see various commands running such as “removing odex files” etc. etc.
13. Go back to the main screen and select “reboot system now” and wait for the phone to reboot. That’s it! Your Droid X is now fully deodexed and you have 928’s BlackGlass Theme installed!
14. You can go download “ROM Manager” from the app market and go download more custom ROMs or themes but make sure to only dl and install DEODEXED ROMs!!! If you install a ROM that is not compatible with a deodexed phone your Droid X will brick!
15. If you want to download and install different ROMs and Themes you can do this by following steps 2 through 11.
16. If your phone does not load (that is, it doesn’t make it past the Motorola logo or the droid X eye) proceed to the instructions below on how to save your ass from a complete brain meltdown and severe depression.
C. UnBRICKING INSTRUCTIONS:
HELP ME. Ima noob! I BRICKED MY PHONE!
1. go to Droid X: 2.3.32 Full SBF
and DL the leaked full OTA FROYO 2.2.1 .SBF file.
2. Download and install RSDLite v4.8 (it should be on Home
if not, go Google it.)
3. If your phone is stuck on the load screen, pull the battery, wait a minute, push the battery back in and restart with the phone’s Boot Loader Mode (do this by pressing the red camera button + volume down + power button hold all of them in the order that I stated until your phone flashes briefly). Your phone should flash white and a Boot Loader menu will come up. Make sure there is at least 20 to 25 percent battery life remaining in order for the reformat of you phone to complete. If your phone dies in the middle of this process GOD HELP YOU.
4. Run the RSDLite File and connect your Droid X to your computer via USB.
5. Browse for the .SBF file you downloaded in step 1 and click “Start”, at which point the program should run and your phone will proceed to unbrick
6. EASY RIGHT?
7. Once unbricking you will have to go through reactivation of your phone. This is normal so just go through the steps you did when you first started.
8. GUESS WHAT? You made a backup of your previous customizations REMEMBER? If you don’t want to deal with the hassle of re-downloading your entire life onto your phone again follow the “ROOTING” instructions in Part A and redownload Bootstrap and reboot into recovery mode to RESTORE the backup you made by following steps 2-11 in Part B….except you won’t be going to “install from sdcard” you will going to “Backup and Restore” and “Restore from sdcard”.
III. Trouble Shooting
1. Experiencing Double Text Messaging: Receiving two of the exact texts at the same time?
This is a problem that I had to wrestle with for a while after installing a custom Theme on top of the blackglass deodexed ROM. After sifting through a couple forums I found that the easiest way of eliminating this problem was to download and install the “Titanium Backup” app from the app market and used it to uninstall the stock messaging app that Froyo comes with. This will solve your problem!
2. More issues to come later…none so far though!
RyanZA (Z4 Root)
The developers at rootzwiki
Android Developers for SDK Manager
...and the genius that invented RSD Lite
DONATIONS ARE WELCOME
If you thought this guide was helpful feel free to hit the donate link below and help me pay the bills!