View Single Post
Old October 23rd, 2010, 12:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
HabsRule93
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Rogers HTC Dream>>Magic; LG Optimus 3D
Carrier: Not Provided

Mad BlueTooth Voice Dialling - HTC Magic+ 2.1

So, still no resolution regarding voice dialling. Contacted HTC, and this is their response:

Quote:
I know how frustrating it can be to not have your Magic function the way it should. I understand your inquiring about voice dialing on the HTC Magic.

I will be more than happy to assist you with that information. To activate voice dialing on your phone, press and hold the Call button. This will activate the voice dialer. Unfortunately this feature is not compatible with bluetooth headsets. I would recommend to search on the Android Market Place for a third-party application that may allow the desired features. I do apologize for any confusion and for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

Basically, Rogers didn't exactly lie when they said we were getting a 'voice dialler'. The bundled app 'Cyberon Voice Commander' will indeed dial using your voice. But... you have to manually launch the app (long press on call button or screen shortcut, etc). You can confirm the selection by voice (yes/no), but if it gets it wrong and you say 'no', then it closes and you have to manually launch it all over again!

Spoke to the local constabulary, and they confirmed that using the phone this way while driving is definitely illegal (and pretty unsafe - especially when the app repeatedly fails to understand what you are saying).

Not sure why Rogers/HTC/Google don't seem to think this is enough of an issue to do something about it. My old dumb phones had better BT functionality years ago. It would be laughable if it weren't so pathetic.

I have searched the market and the web for an Android app that delivers true BT dialling, as HTC so unhelpfully recommended, but no dice so far. Anyone know of one that actually works? At this point I would gladly shell out a few bucks for an app that works.