View Single Post
Old October 25th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #41 (permalink)
Tangent

Device(s): HTC Sensation 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

If you have to have a blanket "don't swerve because otherwise I'll lose control" policy, you are just another member of the inadequately-trained driving public. If you can manage it without putting your car in a ditch, get yourself to a car-control clinic like has already been suggested, or at the very least find an empty parking lot to practice in.

If you're paying attention to your surroundings and aren't lounging with just one hand resting on the wheel you should easily be able to make very fast decisions about if a swerve is even called for, if it can be safely done, which direction it should be, and what action might need to be taken after the swerve. Take the time to find out just what your car can do without losing traction, what happens when it does lose traction, and what you need to do to regain it. If you don't feel safe doing anything but driving straight ahead I can only hope that the inevitable accident you get into involves only you and an inanimate object, not another car or pedestrian you couldn't wouldn't avoid because you were too frightened of turning your steering wheel with any vigor.

Going ahead and just plowing straight into anything in your path because you're afraid that your car has the rollover stability of a high chair is a dangerous habit to get into. One day that dog, rabbit, or deer you see out of the corner or your eye that you've already decided to go ahead and run down lest you tip over is going to be an inattentive child running after a ball.

Quote:
it's just simple understanding that you have the most control going straight forward, on the pavement, not heading off in a 45* angle on an uneven shoulder doing 60 mph.
My idea of control is being able to head of in 45* angles on uneven shoulders while still maintaining control over where I'm going. Sounds like your idea of "control" matches the cause of many airplane fatalities. The technical term is "CFIT", or Controlled Flight Into Terrain. By insisting on going straight ahead vs venturing into more unstable terrain/vehicle attitudes, all you're doing is controlling yourself right into the situations "control" is supposed to let you avoid.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tangent For This Useful Post:
Hrethgir (October 25th, 2010), MX_1 (October 27th, 2010), tommy_ed (October 25th, 2010)