Originally Posted by mlj11
Hi! I signed up just so I could post in this thread
Firstly, I too want to thank you for sharing your creativity and also for your helpfulness.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S which has a resolution of 480x800, and I've used your setup to great effect. Picking up on a few things that have been said on this thread, I have a few questions:
1) How do I take screenshots without rooting? (I know there were some screenshot apps in the Market before, but they all seem to require root now.)
2) What size for the icons should I use if:
a) I want to hide the notification bar; or
b) I want to turn off "Auto-Fit Items" (it causes some of my widgets to get cut off at the bottom); or
c) I want to do both?
I would really appreciate any input!
So, answers to your questions:
1. I do my screenshots without rooting through the SDK. I honestly can't remember where I found the information about how to do it, but the most recent places I find the correct info are:
Android Central - Taking Screenshots Without Root
Android Community - Screenshot Without Root
Basically, it comes down to four things: make sure you have the USB drivers for your phone installed on the computer, make sure your Java is complete and up to date, download the SDK (Android SDK
), and make sure your phone is set to USB Debug Mode. After that, on your computer just go to the folder with your SDK-> android-sdk-windows-> tools-> ddms. Once the "Dalvik Debug Monitor" comes up, click on your phone (connect it via USB if it's not already), then click "Device" in the menu bar, and click "Screen Capture".
2. (a) I will list these dimensions on a separate post to make it easier to find for everyone.
EDIT: I already posted these dimensions before: DROID Incredible Desktop Visualizer Image Dimensions With Notification Bar Hiding
2. (b) Turning off Auto-Fit doesn't really do anything useful. The actual widget area stays the same- it just makes the image in the widget unrestricted beyond the boundaries of the widget, which makes the images overlap in unintentional ways. I don't know about the bottom widgets being cut off. Could you post a screenshot (after you get it working) so I can take a look at it?
2.(c) I guess I will give it a shot to see how it works and let you know.
Finally, thanks for the thanks. It's nice to be appreciated!