My Noob's Guide to Rooting - Using Unrevoked3, Flashing a ROM and A2SD
Ok, so last week I finally took the plunge, and decided to root. Despite all the other guides, help I got and so on, I still found it pretty difficult. I had so many questions, and despite them being answered, again the experts seemed to miss out some stuff which they presumed I would know. I think this is a fairly consistent problem for us noob's. So, here it is - my noob's guide to rooting. Now, before I begin - a few things.
- Do this at your own risk. Do not blame me if things go wrong! (Which they shouldn't)
- I cannot state the importance of doing a nandroid backup at the specified step. Absolute life saver!
- If posted elsewhere, credit me fully please.
-Follow the instructions carefully. Read them carefully. Do not skim over steps.
- This will most likely void a warranty, however from use of a nandroid backup, you can always restore to a pre-custom rom state. The manufacturers usually accept this.
- Remember to backup things like the dictionary, settings and so on in apps like mybackup pro.
- Obviously, this is specific to Teppic's Rom. This is just the stock HTC Froyo 2.2 Official Rom - no changes made. It has support for apps2sd and has no changes made unlike other roms. The process will work with other roms, but certain parts of the guide are specific to Teppics, so beware of this.
Finally, a big shout out for DanFrance
for all their help they gave me.
I've tried to make this pretty simple. But if any bits aren't - Ill update.
Links included in the guide, follow it carefully - Good luck. Any questions post below - As always, ill check back regularly.
1. Root with unrevoked3
2. Download titanium backup, Mybackup Pro and Rom Manager
3. Backup app data to sd using titanium backup and my backup pro
4. To be extra safe, copy all sd contents to computer (ensure hidden folders too + especially the titanium backup / mybackup pro folders too)
5. Format micro sd
6. Partition Micro sd by opening rom manager, press "flash custom recovery" then go down and press partition sd card. Set the first thing to 512mb, then the swap to 0, and hit go.
7. Once that is completed, Turn off the phone, and boot into custom recovery (clockworks mod)
8. Do a nandroid backup - I cannot stress the importance of this enough.
(Also, a well documented issue with unrevoked is that this ^^ can cause a boot loop). This happened to me, and boy did I freak.... but really its simple....To fix, simply restore your nandroid backup from a minute ago.
9. Download the following placing the unextracted unzipped zip files on the root of the sd, ie. just loose once you open the sd up on the computer.
- Download ROM with init.d Support (the second rom down the page) Download ROM with init.d Support
-Dowload Radio 32.44.00.32U_5.09.05.30_2
(optional, check your radio first. I found mine was the above anyway so this was irrelevant. Yours is labelled at the top of the screen in the custom recovery boot menu)
11. Boot into recovery - find the option to flash from sd card a zip file....
12. Flash the ROM with init.d Support (ZIP FILE) you saved onto sd from earlier.
12. Flash Radio 32.44.00.32U_5.09.05.30_2 (optional)
13. Flash this - add_a2sd-14-signed.zip
14. Boot up phone
15. Download titanium backup, Mybackup Pro and Rom Manager
16. Restore data
I just really hope i've covered everything here. Any unsure bits, or just anything else get back to me