for your contacts - you can use My Contacts Backup (there is a link on the US Cellular homepage) or as previously stated, link them to your Gmail Account. I prefer the Gmail way, but thats my opinion. (if you want to know how to do this, I can post this as well)
There are apps that LaTuFu stated works fine, or if you do want to have them on your computer here is how...
1. Plug in your Android via the USB cable to your computer. Let the computer install the recommended drivers.
2. Once you see the “USB” symbol on the top of your phone, drag down the top menu status bar.
3. Click on the symbol - it should say something like “select to change USB connection type” or "USB Connection". Click this option.
4. Select “mount” as disk drive and click done. Your computer should now have a window that pops up.
5. Find the “Open Folder to View Files” button, and click OK
6. From here, you can view everything on your phone. Then it is a simple "drag and drop" to your folder of choice on your desktop computer.
7. When you are done, reverse these steps (un-mount the phone and unplug).
Hope that helps!