View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2010, 09:25 AM   #30 (permalink)
byteware

Device(s): HTC Eris
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1224 View Post
Lots of good advise here, and no, I didnít take the belt to him. I do believe in ďspare the rod spoil the childĒ but the last thing I want to do to is strike him out of anger. That would only frighten him and make him more withdrawn. We ended up having a serious talk. He said he has been rushing through his work, not really following instructions. He admitted it was laziness but knowing my son, heís probably telling me what he thinks I want to here. I asked him to be open & honest with me and he claims it isnít bullying nor does he have any problems with other kids, teachers or faculty members. To describe my son, heís very impressionable, sort of like I was when I was a kid. He craves acceptance.

The teacher even said it was out of character for him because heís always active in class and one of the 1st students to help others. I monitored his homework last night and he knows the stuff, heís just impatient and makes careless mistakes. For example, he had to subtract & add fractions and then simplify the answer to a whole number or lowest fraction. Out of 12 problems he only simplified 4 of them, the other 8 where unfinished and could be simplified further. I think heís uninterested unless it deals with group participation where he can be vocal. Somehow he seems to lose focus very easily. He claims his study habits are good, he says he takes notes and reviews them periodically but I havenít confirmed if this is indeed true. I plan on setting up a parentís/teachers meeting so I can match what heís doing in school with what heís doing at home. Something isnít adding up.

As of now though, I have stripped him of all privileges. No internet, no tv, no playstation, no playing outside. Until he can prove that he can be responsible heís only allowed to study, eat, sleep and shit.
I've tutored kids (and adults) in math through the years.

With my child (which we had a similar situation with recently), I would add something additional each night to the math portion that would increase his ability to do it quickly.

For my daughter, she is doing her times table every night from scratch. It must be perfect or she does it over again. This means that she pays attention to every answer. Her grades quickly came back up.

When her spelling grades dropped, I implemented a system where she had to write her spelling list TWICE each night. Both lists had to be perfect. If a single word was misspelled on either list, then she wrote BOTH lists over again.

My daughter has an attention deficit. If I allow her to make mistakes on these exercises then she will not put the focus into it that is required of the task.

Friday is my daughter's last day in public school. After that she will be home schooled. My wife will do most of her instruction (and our 5 year old who can already read on his own). I will do her math instruction. It's not that my wife isn't capable. She is. We just have different philosophies on instructing math. I don't believe passing tests to get a passing grade to move on to the next subject. I believe that we should test proficiency in an area before moving on.

That means keeping at a subject until you can do so many in a certain time frame (twice).

Once she has a subject matter down to that degree, then we move on.

If she is shaky in a single area of math, and we move on to the next area... she will never be "confident" in math again.

Since we have a different philosophy (and mine's been proven to work on kid's who have already moved well past their shaky foundation), we're going with mine for the time being.

But I digress... I'm going off on a tangent.

Basically... do what you are doing... add some timed trials that he has to pass each night in fractions... it will make it quick and more like a game.

as he gets more confident in being able to do the material, he will improve. If he doesn't improve... then move him to another teacher... it might be someone in the class, or it might be the teacher... but either way that will help resolve the problem before it does unrepairable harm.