Here is the fix to that:
1) Go to your contacts...there select import/export
2) Select "Export to SD card"
3) The file should be saved on your card directory as a .vcf file
4) Login to your Gmail account
5) Go to import contacts and search for the file on your SD card
6) Select import
After that, there will be your entire phone directory, which will allow you to edit everyone there. As you edit your contacts they should populate everytime your syncs to your gmail account.
Good luck, and I hope this helps