View Single Post
Old December 8th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #1117 (permalink)
DAE51D

Device(s): PalmOS Centro just STB so I got an HTC Evo 4G and am very UNDERWHELMED by it compared to the polish
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Private contacts, calendar, notes, tasks like PalmOS

The lack of built in "private" contacts, calendar events, notes and tasks is really sad to me. I see some 3rd party "hacks" but they are all cumbersome to use or don't integrate well with the Android.

On PalmOS, this was at the OS level. There was no way around it. You could mark a contact as "private" and had the option to completely remove it from lists or mask it out. Selecting it required your password. Then they would re-hide as soon as you left that thing.

CompanionLink's DejaOffice (Android Sync Software - Sync contacts, calendar, tasks and notes -- CompanionLink Software) tries to mimic this, but what good is it if you can bypass it by loading the contacts in some other contact viewer (like the default one!) Not to mention it looks like crap and requires you to "Read Android Data" to sync DejaContacts with your real contacts. The whole process is stupid considering it's almost 2011 ! PalmOS has had Outlook sync and private events for nearly 20 years. How did Google miss this?

I wish Google would step up their privacy efforts and implement something like this natively.
Last edited by DAE51D; December 8th, 2010 at 09:26 PM.