View Single Post
Old December 13th, 2010, 01:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
SupraLance
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Next up, Installing Heimdall (Open Source Odin)

You need Odin, or an equivalent, to install the DJ05 modem or any rom not packaged as a .zip for CWM. You also need this as insurance in case you soft brick.

Odin is a leaked Samsung program never meant for public consumption and runs only in Windows. It won't run in Linux under Wine, but will run through VirtualBox with some modifications to see the USB.... Odin on GNU/Linux If your not familiar with VirtualBox, it does not emulate Windows. It runs an actual copy of Windows inside Linux. You have to have a licensed copy of Windows available for this.

There is an open source alternative that works on Linux and Mac's as well. It's called Heimdall, and has been in testing at XDA (see this thread for Beta versions) for several months now. Read about it more and download the latest stable version here: Heimdall – Glass Echidna.

For Ubuntu, you will need the .deb packages in the above links. Opening .deb packaged in Kubuntu (and I assume Ubuntu) automatically installs the program. If you are also installing the front-end, be sure to install the base Heimdall first. After installation, the front-end can be opened by running command "heimdall-front-end". Readme files can be found in /usr/share/doc/heimdall-fronted.

THIS IS A POWERFUL PROGRAM, PROCEED WITH CAUTION

I prefer the Command line version, and actually only needed 1 quick command to get a new fascinate to MIUI. I simply downloaded JT's version of CWM 4.0 for Odin, pulled the recovery.bin from there to my /bin directory from step 1 of post 1, and used the command "heimdall flash --recovery recovery.bin --no-reboot" to get the new CWM onto the phone. Then I used the 3-button reboot to CWM, and flashed the MIUI .zip.
Last edited by SupraLance; July 23rd, 2011 at 07:31 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SupraLance For This Useful Post:
androidman78 (December 15th, 2010), dan409 (December 13th, 2010), Foxcow (April 4th, 2011), Frisco (December 13th, 2010), OMJ (December 14th, 2010), saps (December 13th, 2010)