View Single Post
Old December 18th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
tylerdurdin

Device(s): Galaxy S2 running OMEGA 10.2 Samsung Captivate w/Darky10.2EE,Vibrant w/Toxic8, HTC HD2 w/ICS
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowninty View Post
What I did (the third time round ) - edited to help you:
I downloaded Ubuntu 10.10 iso and burned it to a DVD-R

I booted from CD (F12 in the BIOS) and entered "Try Ubuntu"

I used GParted (topbar:system>administrative) to shrink my Windows 7 partition by 30GB

I then made an Extended partition, and made a 5GB Swap Partition and 10GB & 15GB EXT3 partitions

I then clicked on install Ubuntu (although I would advise you to leave the CD and boot up W7 to check its OK)

In that I went into Custom partitioning/installation (sth like that) and clicked on the 5GB Swap and maked for Swap, clicked on the 10GB EXT3 and used for "/" and clicked on 15GB EXT3 and used for "/Home"

There is a thing at the bottom for bootloader installation - want to keep W7 as your main? Then make sure GRUB (the bootloader) is installed on the 10GB EXT3

When you reboot you wont see any change - Windows should boot as usual

In Windows, google and install "EasyBCD"

Use that to add GRUB to the Windows bootloader
Does Gparted do OK with Windows 7. The first time I tried to dual boot I used gparted and it killed the bootsector with XP. I do not know if the bootsector is on that end of the drive with windows 7. I just start fresh now
-wipe whole disk and use Gparted to make the partitons
-format the first partition as NTFS ( as ubuntu will play nice with windows bootloader)
- Install windows
-the seconfd partion does not need to be formatted as you can just select the "use largest continous free space" during the ubuntu installation

I have to get a new desktop for playing as I am not allowed to mess with our new laptop, and all our old pcs are just outside the window for running win7.
The Following User Says Thank You to tylerdurdin For This Useful Post:
mschmid5 (December 20th, 2010)