When you get your shiny new gen8 Archos Tablet:
1. When you first connect to wifi, check to see if a firmware update is available to download OTA via wifi, or go to archos.com and download the latest firmware from there to your pc, then copy it to your archos via usb to install. v2.0.71 is the latest version so far.
2. next you will want to put the android Market on the Archos, go to
gAppsInstaller - Froyo - xda-developers
and follow the guide to install it plus other google apps. (you need to sign up on the xda forum to view this thread.)
3. once you have 2.0.71 or later, go to settings/about device, find the power management option and set the processor to overboost, this will put the cpu on a sliding scale that allows it to run at speeds between 300mhz and 1ghz depending on the load its under. It will make the archos run much more smoothly. You should still see about 2 days of battery life when using the archos moderately.
4. the default launcher provided by archos is ok, but I found Zeam Launcher to be more responsive and stable, with smother transitions between homescreens. LauncherPro is also very good.
5. Download Dolphin HD browser from the market, its a very good internet browser that works really well on the Archos.
6. try alternate market places like SlideMe SlideME | Android Community and Application Marketplace
and AndroidPit Android Apps and Games in the AndroidPIT Shop
to find apps that may not show on the official Market.
7. use appbrain AppBrain Android Market - find the best Android Apps and Games
and its android app from the Market to better manage and research new apps.
8. use the live wallpaper called MultiPicture from the market to set your wallpapers, otherwise they will be cropped by android in landscape mode. (android's default view is portrait as most phones are held that way).
9. use a cheap double cd wallet as a case for the Archos 101, the fabric kind that hold 24 cds, that have a zip around them and flimsy plastic pockets in. Simply pull out the plastic pockets which normally just slide in and out, these wallets are exactly the right size for the 101 and only cost about £5.00. I placed some stiff plastic in the outer part to add extra toughness to the front, but you could use stiff card.