How to set a ringtone for a contact on Galaxy S - no App required
I just discovered a workaround for adding ringtones to contacts on the Galaxy S without needing an App. OK, discover may be a stretch but I have not found any other site that has these steps.
Note that there are three types of contacts: SIMM, Phone and anything you sync from programs such as Outlook/Exchange. Apparently, the phone only supports custom ringtones on on "Phone Contacts". So if you want a special ringtone for any other contact it seems as if you are SOL but this is what I found works (sorry for providing such verbose directions):
1. Go to your Contacts list.
2. Go to "Menu", then "Create" and select a "Phone" Contact. Create a contact with the same name as the non-phone contact you want the custom ringtone for.
3. Add the same phone numbers to the Phone contact that are in your non-phone contact. It did not choke as I would have expected it to do having the same number twice in the system. I haven't personally tried this but I suppose that you can make multiple Phone Contacts - one for each number that you want a different ringtone on...
5. Add a personal ringtone to the Phone Contact and then save the contact.
6. Navigate to the non-phone contact and open it.
7. Pan down to the "Linked Contacts" section and click on it.
8. Select the "Add linked contacts" button.
9. Because the Phone contact has the same same, it should appear in a short list. Just add it to the linked contacts list and the rest is automatic. If it is not there, then select "Show all contacts" and find it.
Good luck and I hope this helps!