View Single Post
Old January 21st, 2011, 10:49 AM   #21 (permalink)
Aplus

Device(s): Now: LG Esteem (rooted) Previous: LG Optimus M (gave to the wifey)
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2ga View Post
Greetings, I have been perusing this site and all I can see is recommendation to buy "Root Explorer" in order to remove bloatware on our Optimus M. Why buy an app when it can easily be done on a ROOTED phone? ASSUMING your phone is ROOTED, and you have the proper USB driver loaded on your PC with Android SDK You will have c:\sdk\tools folder Start\Run\cmd cd\ cd sdk\tools this will take you to: c:\sdk\tools type in: adb shell (this will take u to $ prompt) su (superuser) ---> will take u to # prompt #mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system #cd /system/app #ls ---> this simply lists the files in the /system/app subdirectory You will see a listing of all the .apk and corresponding .odex files Simply type: #rm filename.apk (please do not type "filename.apk&quot then, remove any corresponding .odex file, if any #reboot That's it, for those of you that are looking for instant gratification without the desire to learn, please feel free to download Root Explorer or Android Mate from market to accomplish this. Good luck.

While what you said is absolutely true, I still believe root explorer is an invaluable tool. I use it all the time as I'm not always sitting at a computer with my phone plugged in. If you only want to get rid of the bloatware and don't want to buy (or try to find it for free) then you can certainly do as stated above. Also, as you stated, using root explorer is an easy way to get rid of all the garbage for those who are not comfortable using adb.