Originally Posted by macgiobuin
What is "rooting" and why is it important or wanted? I have been serching this site and have seen a LOT of technical jargon that is WAAAAAY over my head. I have a new Flipside, BTW.
The non-technical answer is that rooting allows you to have control over your phone. Specifically, it will allow me to:
- Update to Android 2.2 or 2.3
- Install apps to the SD card instead of in-phone storage
- remove many of the *44* crapware apps that come pre-loaded that AT&T won't let you remove (like the social networking crap, the news reader, the horrid GPS app, and more)
- Allows you to install apps from 3rd parties
- Allows you full access to the App Market (AT&T filters many apps that compete with their crapware)