View Single Post
Old January 31st, 2011, 06:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
xmr405o
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Samsung GS4 x 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 plus, Nexus 7 32gb
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanked 1,162 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komodo Rogue View Post
Totally agree. I wasn't even in the market for a tablet... well, not so soon anyway (considered saving money for the xoom), but I was shocked at this price. At first I thought I misread or misunderstood something!

About the screen resolution, I agree with that too - that is some poor, poor pixel density - the (somewhat) standard screen resolution for 3.5 to 4.3 inch phones is the same as a seven inch screen? Really?? Would it have been very expensive at all to make it at least the same as the galaxy tab, or just qHD like the Atrix/Bionic?

HOWEVER, there are some upsides to this that make it okay with me. Number one is that the higher the screen resolution is, the more work the chip has to do. Everyday things like flipping through home screens, launching games / apps, live wallpapers, and any other graphical thing will be easy as cake for the Tegra 2 on this display, so things should be as smooth as butter... especially once it gets optimized, and even more when dell or XDA makes a Honeycomb ROM (I heard Honeycomb supports hardware acceleration).

So yeah maybe I'm just rationalizing, and if I could pick I would go for a higher resolution, but there are definitely advantages to a lower resolution. I usually only loads episodes of seinfeld or simpsons or whatever that aren't HD anyway... the only place I think I will really want higher resolution is web browsing, so I can see a page without constantly zooming in and out.
It's a give and take situation. For that price and most of the hardware, the screen resolution can be forgiven.

I'm also assuming that there's going to be at least 512mb of RAM just like the original streak which to me is a big plus. I might return our nook and get this instead.