View Single Post
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
tinynipples
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Send a message via Skype™ to tinynipples
Default Beware! Fake MicroSD cards...

I know it has been touched on in many other threads (i wish i would have known before ordering) but i am taking a direct approach to possible save others some grief.

Perhaps it is common knowledge or perhaps not. regardless, i was unaware which means at least some people might not know. There are loads of fake Micro SD cards floating around. typically ebay. Basically they take a 2gb or so and manipulate the code a little bit to make your computer/phone see it as a 32gb card. usually.

I ordered a 32gb class 4 Micro SDHC card of a 99.8% positive feedback seller on ebay. i picked it up for $46 plus $4 shipping. seemed pretty reasonable and not too good to be true. currently a Patriot 32gb Class 10 is $109 on frys.com so logic would allow a class 4 to run about $50.

when i received my card, i copied over some files from my old 8gb and popped it into my Dinc. My phone however failed to see it. i attempted to format the card through my phone wondering if that was the problem. my phone appeared to do nothing, so when i popped the card back into my PC it said i needed to format the disk in order to use it. the only size partition i could make was an 8mb. this raised some red flags so i turned to google.

Did i mention it was a Sandisk in the package? but when i scanned the barcode with my lovely little phone it showed the sku was for a sandisk 2gb card priced at about 8 bucks.

perhaps i should have done a bit more research before jumping at a soon closing auction.

long story short:

BEWARE OF PHONY SD CARDS!

i suggest only buying from reputable sites.

just curious, anybody else experience the same scam?
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to tinynipples For This Useful Post:
amit_eighty8 (February 7th, 2011), Blomsty (April 7th, 2011), Bomfy (June 29th, 2011), dAk_AyTaM (June 28th, 2011), Davdi (July 19th, 2013), dunst83 (April 17th, 2011), ebusinesstutor (April 3rd, 2011), enewkirk1 (July 4th, 2011), Huzzy (February 14th, 2011), lilC (July 30th, 2013), mikedt (July 18th, 2013), Petrah (July 19th, 2013), porksoda (February 9th, 2011), rdolivaw (April 3rd, 2011), rfowler1 (April 6th, 2011)