This was last edited on February 13th with the FROYO PORT (A.K.A. UPDATE ONE). This thread will now only be updated with links to new Froyo builds. Please continue to read for my plans on future Froyo related guides.
The port will be no more when the official 2.2 update is pushed for Transform users. I will be making a few guides to applying first the official build with SWUpdater, and there will probably be 3 or 4 more guides to applying Froyo ROMs made by the SDX community. Ill keep this guide up just for the people who still would like to use it for whatever reason, but on the top of this page I will be attaching links that will go to guides to applying all the different types of Froyo builds that will be created and those too will be constantly updated. Ill be including the dates of which each update to the various guides were made and you'll always be able to find them at the top of the page. Kind of like here in this thread. Please try to help me out, since the source code has already been released Ill soon have my hands full with beta builds being constantly updated. So please, if you find a thread thats been updated with a new build or kernel, something to that extent, please PM ME. I don't want the threads cluttered with "You forgot the newest build thing bro." so bear with me. Ill keep the guides updated as much as I can, and soon this thread will well... R.I.P. but thanks everyone for all the thanks, I hope I can continually help out the community with my guides and such.
CAMERA Flash has been fixed! Thank you to Blahages and Beezie916 on SDX!
- To apply this fix, connect your Transform to your computer, mount the SD card. Copy the Camera-Flash-Fix.zip, open your SDX folder, then open your zip folder. Paste the file inside that folder. Reboot your Transform into recovery mode (Volume down, voice button, then power) go to 'Apply zip from SD Card' press menu. Then look for your 'Camera-Flash-Fix' file, press menu, confirm by pressing home. Wait for the file to load. Then press back, go to 'Reboot options' and reboot to system. Feel free to test this out and post your results back here or on the SDX 'froyo' thread.
This is a step by step guide to gain "Root Access" and Install Ported Android 2.2 Froyo RC2 Build on Samsung Transform. Follow the guide CAREFULLY and STEP BY STEP and you will have a Samsung Transform Rooted WTH 2.2 FROYO!!!! If you dont follow these steps CORRECTLY you can BRICK YOUR PHONE!!!!!!
With that being said LETS BEGIN!How to Root Samsung Transform
FLASHING CAN BRICK YOUR PHONE!!!!
This is the first time I've done anything with Android, and figured others like me may need a guide to flashing. This guide is only to be used with the files linked to here using the Samsung Transform. Using other files and programs can and has bricked phones.
1. Download and install the SW Updater http://www.fileserve.com/file/Y4CAg7S
(86,252 KB). This will require you to reboot your computer after it is installed.
2. Download the Kernel/Recovery file http://www.mediafire.com/?nb05wc2n01t78zt
3. Navigate to c:\Program Files\Samsung Electronic\SWUpgrade\Models\Binary and delete EVERYTHING inside of this folder.
Note that in 64bit versions of Windows, you need to be in c:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung Electronic\SWUpgrade\Models\Binary
WARNING: LEAVING ANYTHING IN THIS FOLDER AT THIS STEP CAN BRICK YOUR PHONE!
4. Move kernel_recovery.tar to c:\Program Files\Samsung Electronic\SWUpgrade\Models\Binary
WARNING: UNZIPPING THE .tar FILE CAN AND WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE! ONCE THE FILE IS IN THE Binary FOLDER DO NOT TOUCH IT!
5. Run SWUpgrade and verify that the version number is 1.0.001 in the title bar. Any other version will come up with an error. This happened to me my first time through.
6. Follow all instructions in SW Upgrade, substituting the End key with the phone's Power key.
7. Your phone will now have Vampirefo's recovery and kernel! And of course root access.
THANK YOU TO SOLUST ON SDX FOR THIS GREAT ROOT GUIDE ABOVE.
Now onto the Froyo.
Note: Backup your data with Titanium Backup, sync your contacts (or export them to the sd card) FIRST!!!! This process WILL ERASE all of your apps and settings. You will have a scratch phone!!
Recovery: Free File Hosting, Online Storage & File Upload with FileServe
Kernel: Free File Hosting, Online Storage & File Upload with FileServe
Froyo RC2:Free File Hosting, Online Storage & File Upload with FileServe
OPTIONAL: RECOVERY WITH EXT4 FILE SYSTEM. If you choose this method, Don't use the normal recovery. Free File Hosting, Online Storage & File Upload with FileServe
Read each step carefully and fully. You must understand what your doing to make sure you put Froyo on your phone correctly.
1. After BACKING UP YOUR DATA and REBOOTING your phone, connect your Transform to your computer and enable USB Storage.
2. On the SDCard, create a directory called "sdx" with three sub-folders: "zip", "updates", and "backup".
3. Download the recovery.rfs (Or recovery_ext.rfs) and vampirefo_2.7_kernel.zip files listed above
4. Download The FroyoRC2 build
5. Copy recovery.rfs (Again or recovery_ext.rfs) to the update sub-folder on the sdcard.
6. Copy vampirefo_2.7_kernel.zip and FroyoRC2.zip to the zip sub-folder on the sdcard.
7. Unmount the USB storage. Turn the phone off. Disconnect the USB cable. Press VOLUME DOWN, VOICE DIAL KEY, and POWER (in that order) and hold them until the phone turns on. The phone should start up and come up in recovery mode. The background will say "Transform E.R". Reconnect the USB cable to conserve power, but you must disconnect it before you can power into recovery.
8. Use the volume down key to select "Backup, Restore, Flash". Press the Menu soft key to select it.
9. Select "Backup both". Press the Menu soft key to select it, then press the Home to confirm. This backup will help if you mess up, or want to return to Android 2.1. It takes about 3 minutes to finish.
10. Now under the same "Backup, Restore, Flash" menu, use the Volume Down key and move to "Flash (recovery.rfs)". FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT WANT EXT4, MAKE SURE YOU GET THE EXT4 RECOVERY I POSTED AND READ STEP 10.5 DON'T DO WHAT THIS STEP SAYS IF YOU WANT EXT4. Press the Menu key to select and the Home key to confirm. This only takes a minute or so to complete. It tells you to restart the phone afterward.
10.5 Go to 'File Browser' in recovery. Go down to the folder 'SDCARD' then 'SDX' then to 'Updates' And there you should have placed Recovery_ext.rfs in there. Press menu and select 'Flash recovery kernel' confirm this my pressing menu again and then the home button. Now go back to your home recovery screen, and 'Reboot to recovery' Once that is complete from recovery select 'Go To Console' it's the very bottom option. Open it, press enter and then type in 'ext4' For the 4 to be properly typed, make sure you HOLD the FN or function key.
Press enter. This is going to look like your phones doing something really weird in the console, but don't worry about it, it's supposed to look that way.
Now skip to step 14/15.
11. Use the back key to return to the main recovery menu. Select "Reboot options" with the Menu key. Use the Volume Down key to select "Reboot to Recovery" and press Menu to confirm. The phone will immediately restart.
12. Use the Volume Down key and select "Go To Console". Press the menu key to select.
13. Open the keyboard and press the Enter key. Type "rfs" (without the quotes, just the letters r f and s). Press enter. The phone will say some things about formating files. This takes about a minute. It will say "format successful" three times when done.
14. Type "exit" (again, no quotes, just e x i and t). Press enter. Close the keyboard.
15. Use the Volume Down key to select "Apply zip from SD Card". Press Menu soft key to select.
16. Select the "FroyoRC2.zip" file. Press the Menu soft key to select and Home soft key to confirm. This takes up to five minutes to complete. It will say a restart is needed, But Don't restart yet.
17. Press the back key and use the menu key to get back to the "Apply zip from SD Card" menu.
18. Now select the "vampirefo_2.7_kernel.zip" file. Press the Menu soft key to select and Home soft key to confirm. This takes just over a minute. It will say a restart is needed.
19. Use the back key and go to the main recovery menu. Select "Reboot options" with the menu key.
20. Now select "Reboot to System". and wait. This takes up to 5 minutes to load with no sense of time until completion. First you will see an apple disolve into dust then a twirling red android symbol.
Once it loads you are now the proud owner of a Samsung Transform with Android 2.2 Froyo!
Congratulations. The first things you want to test is the phone's data connection by looking for the 3g symbol and opening the market or browser. If it doesn't come up, restart the phone. It should restart in under a minute (mine takes 38 seconds at last count).
If any of you guys' would like to share your opinions on the Froyo build, help make it better, or just purely express your gratitude to the people who made this possible, head to the link below and make a post! And again, be sure to thank those who made this Froyo build possible
Credit goes to VAMPIREFO (Recovery, Kernel, Port) & ZRMXP85 (Vampirefo's port with keyboard layout and proximity sensor fix supplied by zrmxp85.) Also thanks to WwJoshDew from YouTube and SDX for the mirror links! CREDIT FOR ALMOST ALL THE WRITING OF THIS POST GOES TO QUADANAR
I ONLY CHANGED SOME GRAMMAR, LINKS AND INFO.
READ PLEASE: If you made any part of this guide and havn't been given credit, please message me or post a comment. I'm dedicated to make sure this guide is updated and credit is given where credit is due. I had a feeling NYCE didn't write most of his guide and I was right. Again if you are owed any credit for anything in this post, please leave a comment to notify me or message me.