I had the exact same problem on my Eris, and yes, I have AOL mail, also. I did a factory reset on my Eris, but when I added my AOL mail, it auto-filled some areas, meaning a factory reset doesn't actually factory resest everything like one is led to believe....
Ironically, I had changed my AOL password on my PC and changed it on my Eris, it worked for a few days then started acting up. Never thought the password change could be the culprit. I must've deleted/added my AOL mail account at least 15-20 times.
I just gave up and began using the 'net to check my AOL mail.
It cleared up on it's own. Frustrating as all get-out, but it cleared up.....eventually.