Well, well. Just got a way at least to restore my I5500 back to its original firmware. Just to mention that previously I've tested lots of firmware versions before upgrading to the leaked January build of FroYo for the I5500.
As seen on XDA
, there is a new version 220.127.116.11 of the registry tweak working with KIES 2. In fact it is difficult to tell that it is working. Maybe it is just okay for a reserch concerning current available versions of the firmware for the different regional versions of it. The funniest thing is, you are getting the «update» option, but shortly after initating update procedure KIES 2 tells that device could not be updated.
A good research has been made by LuffarJoh and you could find more on it here
. However it does not solve the issue for the moment.
I've found a little workaround to the issue for me. Here are the details concerning my case :
1. My device is for the Bulgarian market and had GT-I5500YKAVVT product code.
2. I've recently uploaded some ROMs from samfirmware.com website not for my region and this rendered the device to be non-upgradeable using KIES except the registry hack which is currently not working as noted in this thread by subpsyke
. Samsung disabled the KIES 1 update and started using encrypting their traffic with the more recent version of KIES 2. I've panicked a bit after reading that there is no way to switch back to my original version and therefor will never get the official FroYo when becomes available.
Here is how I solved it for my phone.
1. I've uploaded Russian version of the firmware hanging around at samfirmware. It is in fact «I5500XWJH4/I5500SERJH2
/I5500XWJG3/I5500XWJH4». Its only difference from my previous original version of the firmware for the Bulgarian market is evidently the CSC version «I5500XWJH4/I5500OXXJH1
/I5500XWJG3/I5500XWJH4» (bolded one).
2. I've rooted device using Universal Androot.
3. I've updated /system/CSCVersion.txt by replacing «I5500SERJH2» with «I5500OXXJH1» and plugged back my phone to the KIES 2.
4. Ta-daaa! No more «The version of this device cannot be updated.». Without any registry hacking I've succeeded to bring back my phone to its latest Bulgarian firmware revision which is : PDA:JK2 / PHONE:JK3 / CSC:JI3.
Btw, here is some research I've just made using the other publicly available product codes. As you could clearly see - there is NO FroYo for the I5500 yet. When it will be officialy available - who knows
Let's hope that it will be soon and that the GPS issues will be fixed as using the leaked FroYo, GPS works sluggish without A-GPS turned on.