If you do have PVT4, you then need to check if your erase size is 40,000.
To check erase size, you can simply download "terminal Emulator" from the market and type:
(And press enter) - This should work on non-rooted devices
What about Gold Cards? Do I need one?
For rooting itself, no. However, if your phone is branded, you should definitely make one.
Here is the GoldCard Tool
- Format your SD card to FAT32 by going Settings > SD Card & Phone Storage > Unmount SD Card then Format SD Card
- Launch the goldcard tool as admin by Right click on App > Run as Admin
- Connect your phone to your PC and make sure USB debugging is enabled (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging)
- Click get CID (Try clicking MMC0 if MMC1 fails)
- Click the link to open the goldcard generator, copy the CID from the tool into it. You will get an email.
- Enable USB Mass Storage on your phone.
- Click 'Refresh' in the app and select your micro SD card.
- Click 'Load goldcard.img' and select the file you received by email.
- Click 'Patch MMC'
- You now have a goldcard!
Credit to the author of this article