Thread: Kindle
View Single Post
Old March 20th, 2011, 03:38 AM   #33 (permalink)
Hrethgir

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SIII, Motorola Droid X-retired, Apple iPhone 3Gs-retired, B&N Nook-rooted
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrethgir View Post
I'm sure it can, but if I get a Sony reader, I won't have to convert anything as far as I can tell. It's a little more expensive, but I like the Sony readers looks a little better, don't see the need for the full physical qwerty on a reader, not going to be doing much typing, just reading.
Well, just got myself my first ebook reader. But went with the B&N Nook over the Sony reader. Why? Because Sony is being evil, and I don't want to give them my money. All that collecting IP addresses of people who visit GeoHots website and watch his videos about jailbreaking the PS3 is going too far. Anyways, I have also heard the full touchscreen on the Sony units makes the e-ink not quite as clear and crisp. I did a bunch of research before buying: Amazon Kindle, B&N Nook (not NookColor, did not want to read off a backlit LCD screen), Kobo by Borders and Sony Reader. Sony was out due to general evilness. Didn't want to have to convert files I got from other places, so the Kindle was out (also didn't see the need for the full keyboard there all the time), so it came down to the Kobo or the Nook. Almost bough the Kobo, but decided to review it a little more, and while the price was right, it had one glaring fault: no bookmark function. Seriously?! Who makes an ebook reader that doesn't do bookmarks? So that left the Nook. Bought it from Amazon ( ), picked up a refurb for $109 and a nice JAVOedge MiMo case for it, very happy so far. The little color LCD touchscreen at the bottom works great for navigating around, and when it turn off while you are reading, you can just swipe it to turn the page instead of using the buttons.

Wow, that was a lot wordier than I thought it would be! Here's the breakdown:

Kindle: Nice, but need to convert some files, didn't want full keyboard
Nook: No converting needed
Reader: No converting needed, but Sony is being evil, no money for them!
Kobo: Nice and cheap, but no bookmark function

And for putting up with all that, some legit free ebook libraries:
Project Gutenberg - free ebooks online download for iPad, Kindle, Nook, Android, iPhone, iPod Touch, Sony Reader
Google eBookstore
Books - Baen Books

Also, check your local library, mine has a large selection of ePub books that can be "checked out". You can borrow books from the library in the middle of the night from your sofa without even putting your pants on, LOL! This was another reason I went Nook, it natively supports this function, and I wanted to take advantage of it.