View Single Post
Old March 29th, 2011, 07:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
erisuser1

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by crz6662 View Post
Just a quick question: Is there a way to repair an MD5 mismatch ? I have 5 Nandroid backups that I can't reinstall because of this.
Haven't finished researching yet but figured I'd ask anyway.
Thanks.
It is pretty unusual to experience a md5 mismatch - when it occurs, it means that something horrible has gone wrong: for instance, the file system of your SD card got corrupted, the SD card has developed some dead patches ( "bad blocks" ), or you corrupted/truncated one or more image files when restoring nandroid backups from your PC to your SD card.

In short, these are exactly the types of disasters that the use of checksums is there for - so that a bad situation is not made worse by restoring corrupted backups to your phone.

In general, the answer to your question is an emphatic "NO!" - the checksums does not somehow "save" information that got lost/changed, so that it can be magically recovered.

Now, the ".md5" file saved with each nandroid backup is just a plain text file, which could certainly be edited so that you are changing the checksum of one of the image files. So, the nandroid restore could be "tricked" into restoring a file, but you would never want to do this unless you were absolutely sure that the image file you were providing the checksum for was a valid, uncorrupted image file.
The Following User Says Thank You to erisuser1 For This Useful Post:
scary alien (March 29th, 2011)