View Single Post
Old March 29th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
scary alien
not really so scary
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanked 15,024 Times in 7,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crz6662 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'll download the new version & check it out.
As far as the "in red", I just assumed if it was a good file, it's green, if it's bad, it's red. That's what I thought the app did, so you didn't install a corrupted file. I had already deleted all my backups so I couldn't do a check of those. I'm not understanding what good is knowing the MD5 checksum hex if I can't edit it, fix it or whatever. Not being a smart ass at all, just don't know. I'd appreciate any further explanation you could give me.
I'm still a bit lost as to what exactly the app does if it's not to tell me if a files good or not. What's the purpose ?
I'm far from an expert, that's why I listen/learn from guys like you, so thanks again for your time.

You are correct, I am not using a Droid Eris, I'm using the HTC Dream/T-Mobile G1. I know we're not talking the same phone but a lot of things with android can pertain to the system & not a particular phone. I'd say that's the case here though you might not be able to give me step by step instruction. I've gained more here than elsewhere.

When researching MD5 this is 1 of the sites that came up. This forum was actually 1 of the more helpful.

Will your new version tell me if I have a bad file ? Going to download now and see what she does.
Appreciate any more feedback. Thanks.
You are most welcome! We like to think that AF is a pretty helpful site (and the Eris forums in particular ).

Having the MD5 checksum gives you a benchmark for comparing a file against in the future so that you know that a file is whole and uncorrupted.

It (and the myriad of other types of checksums like SHA1, CRC32, etc.) are just calculations done on a file (or string) in an attempt give it a unique "signature" (for lack of a more precise term in this context).

Using the Nandroid backups as an excellent example, the nandroid-mobile.sh script that is invoked by the custom recovery (ClockworkMod in your case) will, after creating the Nandroid backup files, calculate the checksums for each of the files made in the backup.

Then, when you go to actually restore these Nandroid backups, you would like some assurance (warm and fuzzies ) that the files are indeed in the same condition (size and content) as they were when the backup was created. The nandroid-mobile.sh script will, before performing a Nandroid restore operation, verify that the MD5 checksums still match the ones recorded in the nandroid.md5 file.

Having the newly-calculated MD5 checksum match the old / previously recorded checksum tells you that the file has not been modified.

Having them not match tells you that something has either modified the file or the checksum.

Does that help?

Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to scary alien For This Useful Post:
crz6662 (March 29th, 2011)