View Single Post
Old January 11th, 2010, 12:17 PM   #63 (permalink)
romeosidvicious
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Sprint Hero
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronium View Post
Yes, I am lazy. As probably 95% of Android users are when it comes to uninstalling apps one by one, waiting, and then reinstalling them one by one. How many people not on this board would actually do that? Also, what happens if you really need that "dodgy" app on your phone? Would you recommend a task killer then?
I already do in my posts here. I recommend just that. I even say I have one installed. Although since I consolidated all my Google accounts under one and it's not the one I was using for market I didn't go with the paid version. But I have a task killer installed and freely admit to using it to kill badly behaving apps.

But the thing you admit to, at the first of this paragraph, "I am lazy" and then apply to 95% of users I believe not to be true. However my point still holds even if you are correct. I believe people are ignorant of the way Linux works and have been trained to use specific things, like task killers, by years of bad programming and bad OSs. So I am trying to educate people and nothing more. The average user doesn't know that, in general, a task killer isn't needed and only truly needed when you get a bad app. The average user also doesn't know that killing every running process will have negative affects on your phone. You kill off time and you might miss alarms. You kill messages you may miss incoming text messages. You kill Sense you get a pop up you might not understand. This is proved by the plethora of threads where the solution was "stopping kill X with your task manager". So why argue against giving knowledge, correcting misconceptions, and argue for improper use and laziness? It honestly makes no sense.

Quote:
And what about killing startup apps? That's crazy that the OS even loads all this stuff on boot. By your reasoning, you're already taxing your cpu and battery without even running any additional programs.
The boot slowness is a very brief slowness that leads to increased performance. Whatever is resident in RAM and whatever apps are sleeping in the background after boot is accessed much faster and increases performance. You can't kill the startup apps fast enough to gain an increase in battery that a human would notice so all you gain is initial speed coupled with an overall decrease in performance and no noticeable gain in battery life. If this trade off is what you want then by all means do what you are already doing.

Quote:
Most killed processes will not start back up on my Hero, so that's not an issue for me. I understand your right way of doing things argument, but I download a lot of apps. I just don't have the time to constantly find out what app is causing a problem, and then live without that program. For me at least, the "right" way is not the better way.
A lot of killed processes start back up. Look around for Sprint Navigator and you'll see people asking over and over why it started back up. Even if most don't on your phone the ones that do are using more battery than all of them if they were sleeping. You are decreasing your performance by not having apps sleeping in he background that aren't using CPU time but have chunks resident in memory and decreasing your battery life by having the CPU taken up as apps restart. Even if it's simply apps like the clock, which will restart, it uses less CPU to leave it running.

I understand you think that troubleshooting and using the phone the way the developers intended it to function isn't the best way for you. In my opinion you are sacrificing long term performance and stability for short term convenience and arguing that others should do the same. Why argue against someone sharing time and knowledge that will help others? It seems like you want validation for doing things the way you do them. I can't provide that for you. You present no technical reason whatsoever for the way you do things. Your reasons are that you are lazy and can't be bothered and neither of those are considered to be virtuous qualities. You don't have to follow my suggestions. No-one is holding a gun on you making you take the advice offered here. You can continue to do things the way you see fit. But why try to argue against valid technical point with what amounts to: "I don't want to"? I understand you will keep doing things your way and no-one can convince you otherwise but what I don't get is why argue against doing things the right way? If you have technical knowledge you wish to share then by all means please do but if you want to validate "I am lazy" then please don't hijack this thread any further with a non-technical debate.