Thread: Cricket vs VM.
View Single Post
Old April 10th, 2011, 01:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
KOLIO
U Just Luv My OPPOstyle

Device(s): 1+1 | OPPO FIND 7 | OPPO N1 | SAMSUNG GEAR 2/FIT | CHROMECAST
Carrier: T-MOBILE/AT&T

Thanked 1,941 Times in 1,425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyiris View Post
I am weighing the pros and cons of Cricket vs VM.

Phone in question: LG Optimus C/V

Pros for Cricket:

$170 for the phone + $50 mail-in rebate.
Tethering
Phone insurance.

Cons for Cricket:

1GB cap
ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE COVERAGE.
$55/mo + tax and additional fees.
Proprietary SD Card malfunctions

Pros for VM:

Better coverage.
10GB cap
$27/mo (after applying taxes and additional fees.)

Cons for VM:

$200 for the phone.
No tethering
No phone insurance

In other peoples opinions, which is better? I dislike Cricket's service enough to want VM, but tethering and insurance are enough to make me REALLY second guess myself.

I myself have a HUAWEI ASCEND with CRICKET® service.I'm rooted(still using stock ANDROID 2.1.1 O/S) w/bloatware removed & have LINK2SD installed to store all user(downloaded)apps to the external SDcard,using ROM MANAGER to partition the SDcard.
I also have Titanium Back-Up PRO & utilize the 'FREEZE' option on system & user apps that I don't use,but,do not want to permanently delete.
My phone works GREAT,very quick & responsive.You could probably perform these same steps with a VIRGIN ANDROID as well,just read the associated forums for info & help if you need it.

However,once I hit the 1GB data usage level,I get throttled & web use crawls to a merciless slow pace.

If coverage is an issue,I'd look into getting the SAMSUNG INTERCEPT W/VIRGIN MOBILE.If you look into the forum for this phone,you'll find that it CAN be tethered,plus according to PHANDROID NEWS,the INTERCEPT is due to be upgraded to ANDROID 2.2 on 4/11/2011.{Samsung Intercept to receive Froyo update Monday}

My advice would be to wait & see if tethering is possible w/the INTERCEPT 2.2 or wait until someone provides a method of Rooting & tethering for it,& then make your decision.

I'd also try to find others with service on both CRICKET & VIRGIN in your area & get their input.I've heard coverage & call quality for VIRGIN is extremely well in the PHOENIX area,hopefully for you,it is as well in the TUCSON area.

I'm satisfied w/my CRICKET service overall,just wish they'd bump up the data usage to 1.5GB-2.0GB before throttling.

Another plus w/CRICKET:
If you pre-pay 3 Months of service,you get the 4th month free.Just go to a CORPORATE CRICKET store & ask about it.

BTW,WELCOME to ANDROID FORUMS!
Last edited by KOLIO; April 10th, 2011 at 06:27 AM.