View Single Post
Old April 19th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
garybeck
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): LG Optimus V (bricked) ZTE Awe (Jelly Bean) Samsung Galaxy 2 Tab 7.0
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsoccer03 View Post
It uses Real satellites through a Real Gps and/or can use wireless towers to help find your location. Now... the assisted part is, Google maps caches the maps it uses as you drive... That is, the maps are not permanently stored on your phone. Only the ones it needs at the time are downloaded and used, which is why its "assisted". But you can also say its assisted by Cellular towers if you enable it also.
Yes, that's why I don't like Google Maps. With my other phone I installed Garmin Mobile which puts all the maps on your phone and you don't need a data account, wifi, or even cellular reception, to use the GPS. the way it should be... just like a gps in your car, which doesn't need any other type of connection to operate.

some phones, as I understand, say they have a gps but they only have a-GPS. this means that they use cellphone tower info to determine your location, not satellites. some have both GPS and a-GPS. some have only traditional GPS. I need to make sure the Ally has a traditional GPS and if it has a-GPS too, that it can be disabled or at least operate without phone reception, as long as I use Garmin and not Google Maps.

seems like ccsoccer03 says it has both and k.c.cole says it only has a-GPS. I have to make sure 100% before I buy this phone. Anyone positive? You'd think they would show it on the LG website but they don't.