View Single Post
Old April 23rd, 2011, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
linuxme

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default 2.2 Update on Motorola Defy problem

I just updated to Android 2.2 on my Motorola Defy and now it has no home screen and cannot access any apps or menus rendering it nearly useless.

It does have the top notification bar which does update (indicate incoming texts, etc). It does receive phone calls and text, but are only accessible from the top notification bar. Other than that it is a brick.

Cannot hard reset. Holding down the lower volume key while powering up gets the Android ! icon, but it does not respond to a tap in the lower right corner.

Other Motorola Defy customers report a similar Android upgrade problem (though some are able to recover with a hard reset). No such luck in my case.

My guess is some sort of configuration file incompatibility with Android 2.2 and 2.1. The previous upgrade broke the camera but clearing the camera data (from the App menu) fixed that problem. Maybe it is a similar typte problem.

Any suggestions as to how to get home screen back? FWIW, I am an experienced linux/unix developer and can help in technical debugging of this problem.

Thanks