View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2011, 02:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
nj02vette

Device(s): Verizon LG G2, Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Transformer Infinity, Transformer Prime, Too many things
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantern0506 View Post
Hey folks,

Just got my NC today and, dummy me, forgot to get an sd card. So I have a few of questions so I make sure that I'm getting the right thing:

1. Is there a significant, noticeably difference between a Class 6 and Class 10 micro sd? Specifically, I am looking at 32GB cards, and I can definitely tell a price difference.

2. If I root the NC, is the 32GB really necessary? I do not intend to put music/movies on my NC, but lots of books, photos, comics, etc. isn't out of the realm of possibility.

3. Is there a specific card that is recommended over the others? I've searched Newegg and Amazon and it looks like the Patriot and Wintech both have bad reviews. The Kingstons are nice, but I would like to know that the Class 10 and 32GB is really necessary before I drop $90.

Thanks a bunch all!
1. There is a difference between speed classes, but you probably won't be able to really tell the difference. Both class 6 and class 10 will seem slow compared to internal memory. Class 4 performance is unacceptably slow. If you really plan on running off the uSD card for a long period of time, then I'd probably go class 10.

2. 32GB with no music and/or video is like buying a tractor trailer for your daily commute. You can install thousands of books in like 2GB of space, so I can confidently say you'll be covered for a while. Photos can take up a decent amoung of space, but even ~8000 12megapixel images can be stored on 8GB. Personally, I'd go either 8GB or 16GB. Cost increases exponentially for 32GB, so start small and see if you need it.

3. I personally buy the cheapest memory card I can find that is still somewhat brand name. Spending close to $100 on a $250 item doesn't make sense to me. I bought a 16GB Class 10 card for under $30 from Amazon. 32GB cards were just way too expensive to be justified.
The Following User Says Thank You to nj02vette For This Useful Post:
lantern0506 (May 4th, 2011)