View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
dmullens
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
80% of what? The percentage doesn't really mean much by itself. How much data is it actually using?
First off...this has all been a realization over time. The first time I went into town it was a short trip (about 30 minutes). About 10 minutes into the trip I noticed 600K had been used. I had not used the phone. At that point, I don't know how much of that was location services or something else. I have _noticed_ it using 600K-800K even though my total usage was around a meg or so.

I've just purchased 3G Watchdog pro and even though I know it isn't completely accurate on the "app usage" data, network services has been the #1 use of my 3g data. Here's the thing...I don't want something that I'm not actively using to be #1.

Perhaps I'm odd...perhaps it is because I'm paying for my data on ATT...but I want my usage of the phone to be the #1 reason it is using data. A couple of days ago I was waiting for my son to get done with track practice and I fired up Oprera Mini and did some quick browsing. Opera mini used about 200K of data...that's all I did...but my data usage was about 1.2 megs.

I've just installed Juice Defender and I think that will limit some of the data usage...but I really want to know how to manage my 3G data usage without turning off 3G completely. I'm find with Gmail, GoogleVoice, etc. accessing the 3G data because I'm, in a way, initiating it. I've yet to figure out how and why I'm initiating the location data.

I might have to turn everything off and turn things on one by one to find out