How to Make a Hero into a Phone
Hi, first post!
I just took delivery of my HTC Hero (T-Mobile G2 Touch) and its got so many toys, its unbelievable!
However, after the initial honeymoon period, I decided it might be an idea to set the phone up for use as a phone. This is where the Hero is sadly lacking - I gave up on Nokia years ago because you needed to download apps to make the apps work, and it seems that HTC have taken on a few ex-Nokia employees as their design team.
My main criticism is the exclusion of the most basic function of being able to set a custom sms tone. I'm not one of those that subscribe to the idea that connecting your phone to a pc and sifting through loads of files and folders called 'dit' 'dat' 'dot' 'com' and 'bollox' is any fun at all, and am a firm believer that ALL of these functions should be able to be accessed from the phone itself. Sure, a usb connection is useful, but should NOT be a neccesity.
With all that in mind, I found the following to be essential in turning a HTC Hero back into a phone -
1) A file manager. I'm using Android Manager and Astro at the moment until I get around to finding the best one.
2) A collection of wallpapers, for which I find 3D Wallpaper and CG Wallpaper particularly useful
3) Mabillo Ringtones has a super collection of SMS alert tones
4) My best find - Grooveshark. This is a full music streaming subscription service and unlike Spotify (at £10 per month even though many artists refuse to allow access which is going to be lumped onto poor unsuspecting 3mobile users soon), it gives full access to all recording artists and is set at 3 DOLLARS per month - a fifth of what Spotify are charging. The tracks of course can be downloaded for ringtones.
5) Ringdroid is useful for editing the above ringtones.
6) Ringo Lite is the app for setting your message alert tones.
And thats about it for now.
I'm not going to include the Steamy Windows app as an essential, but its very popular with onlookers that are stuck with Nokias. Similarly the TV guide is superb, but not strictly essential - having said that, I havent missed a soap since it was installed!
If there's anything else that you feel is essential to make a phone run like a phone, please add suggestions. I'm not averse to crowd pulling applications either!