View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #32 (permalink)
ArmageddonX

Device(s): Nexus5 - Nexus10
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2478 View Post
That's PRECISELY what I was worried about! I had a friend that had her Epic 4G crap out on her, and just like you she got this piece of junk loaner phone she was stuck with for several weeks while they tried to repair her phone.

At the end of the day though, she still somewhat got screwed. She paid $250 for the Epic 4G, when the Evo was only $199. When BB said they couldn't fix her phone, they gave her a gift card for full retail value on the Epic 4G. She went into BB and the new Nexus S 4G had a full retail price that was $50 more then the Epic, even though the contract price of the Nexus S 4G was only $199. So if she wanted the Nexus, she'd have to pay another $50, meaning she would have had to pay $300 for a $199 phone.

To top it off, the gift card didn't cover the sales tax either. I'm sure you could argue about it at the store if you had the time to spare, which she didn't unfortunately.

So in addition to just the loaner phone fiasco, sometimes it appears that the way they reimburse you to allow you to buy a new phone can be somewhat garbage too. Just cuz you paid $250 for your phone on contract, doesn't mean you'll be able to get any other device that also has a contract price of $250.
Yeah, the Best Buy Smartphone Warranties are renown for being bad. Visit the Best Buy customer service forums sometime if you don't believe me. When it's time for Best Buy to pay up on their part of the deal; they don't want to. I just had my Palm Pre "repaired" and the refurbished Palm they sent me back works worse than the one I sent in.

It took me a month to get them to agree to even repair my device. First they had a broken loaner phone, then they didn't have enough loaner phones, and finally they couldn't transfer my contacts to the POS loaner. I Emailed corporate back and forth for 3 weeks with no helpful responses other than "we're sorry". When I finally got my loaner it was a non-smart non-3G device. It barely had text messaging.

They lie to you to get you to pay for the warranty by promising things like "free in-store same-day replacement" or "you'll get a brand new device that is just as functional as the device you have the warranty on" and then when it's time for them to fulfill their obligations you have to make all the concessions in order to get your device "fixed". I say "fixed" (with quotes) because to top it off now my refurb is worse than the phone I sent to get repaired... It's just bad...

I was lucky enough to have been on the "rapid replacement" list which doesn't take as much time. However if you visit their warranty customer service forums and do a search for Smartphones it's not uncommon for people to be without their Smartphones for 3-6 weeks while they're being "repaired". While the owners are stuck using some antiquated phone straight out of the 90s.
"If anyone's head is acting an antenna, seek help or wear tin foil." ~ EarlyMon
Last edited by ArmageddonX; June 1st, 2011 at 06:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmageddonX For This Useful Post:
bobby2478 (May 19th, 2011)