View Single Post
Old June 6th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless
AF Contributor

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Nexus 7
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxxxxh View Post
Hi all, I'm new to the community and to android phones as well. I previously was an iphone user, but recently bought a nexus one. With the Iphone I was able to jailbreak and what not, but am confused about the possiblilities of the Nexus One. Please help me answer these questions.

-What is the difference between Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, or Cyanogen, etc. ?

-Are these officially from android?

-What else is there and which is best?

-Is there anything similar to jailbreaking the iphone, for free apps and customization?

-What else should I do or download to my phone?

Please give me some insight or an overview about what I can do with the android. Thanks in advance.
-What is the difference between Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, or Cyanogen, etc. ?

Gingerbread (2.3) is the latest version of the Android Operating System for phones. Honeycomb (3.1) is the latest version of the Android OS for tablets. They will be combined in the next version of android called Ice Cream Sandwich. All of Android OS versions are named after deserts in ABC order...Eclair (2.1), Froyo (2.2), Gingerbread (2.3)...etc.... Cyanogen is a custom rom for android

-Are these officially from android?

Gingerbread and Honeycomb are the latest from Google.

-What else is there and which is best?

XDA developers forum is probably the best place to learn about custom roms.

-Is there anything similar to jailbreaking the iphone, for free apps and customization?

Rooting is the term used on Android and it is for customization. You can get free apps from the market, downloading and installing a paid app for free is illegal and is detrimental to the Android community, please do not do it, developers deserve the few dollars for their app since they put in the time and effort.

-What else should I do or download to my phone?

Android is about the ability to personalize your phone to the way you see fit, explore the market, these forums and others to find the best apps to make your phone do what you want it to do.