Originally Posted by DonB
Why wait, call them up now and they won't ship it until Tuesday anyways, this phone is worth every Penny IMO
It is kind of a busy holiday weekend for me. I do not have patience to call multiple times to get them to upgrade both lines and give me the customer loyalty credit at the moment.
I know I am probably going to have to get escalated to retentions and have a manager override something to get what I want. It is best to do it when I have the time to do it, like this coming Tuesday. Not to mention, after I call and get the upgrade back for both lines, I will have to confirm that they actually went through, and then call back AGAIN to order the handsets. Good times.