Thread: Tips Tips n Tricks thread.
View Single Post
Old July 6th, 2011, 04:22 PM   #88 (permalink)
ironass

Device(s): SGS5 SM-G900F. Rooted. KitKat 4.4.4. CM11 ROM. Baseband: NJ1. CM kernel+TWRP.
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanked 3,957 Times in 2,609 Posts
Default GPS lock & accuracy tip

If you would like to speed up the GPS lock and connection time on the Galaxy SII...

Try this...

Settings > Location and security > ensure all the boxes under My location are ticked.

Now download and install, free from the Market, GPS Test.

Put your phone into, "Flight mode"...

Settings > Wireless and network > Flight mode... check

Open GPS Test (outdoors with a clear view of the sky) and select Menu > Settings > Clear AGPS

Now just leave it for as long as it takes to get a solid lock on at least 6 Sat's (preferably more... 9->11 would be good). This can take 20 min's or more but be patient,

When you have achieved this come out of Flight mode and then select GPS Test Menu > Settings > Update AGPS.

Now reboot your phone.

N.B. Please ensure you have no Task Managers or anything that will close or interfere with this app.

Once rebooted you should find an improvement in accuracy and speed of your GPS.

This article explains how GPS on mobile phones works:-

How Does GPS Work In Cell Phones?

Update

***If you are rooted, you can also download Faster fix, (recommended), free from the Market.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.Double.FasterFix&feature=search_res ult#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5Eb3VibGUuRmFzdGVyRml 4Il0.

Just select your location (sometimes, as in my case, a different location to the obvious one, works better) and your fix time should improve.

Also for rooted phones, there is an AGPS patch which works very well, see here:-

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1447599

GpsFix, free from the Market, can decrease your time to fix by increasing the time that GPS/AGPS receiver is turned on.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.androidlab.gpsfix&feature=search_re sult

N.B. The free version of GpsFix now comes with AirPush ad's. So if you like this app and it helps you then consider getting the paid version which is ad free.

I first ran it with GPS disabled on the phone and relied on WiFi for my initial fix before switching GPS back on. My fix time now is around 7-10 sec's.

Hope this helps you.

Dummies Guides Rooting Galaxy S4 * Know Your S4 * Update Problems * Knox Security * Bloatware * GPS
Last edited by ironass; December 27th, 2012 at 10:58 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ironass For This Useful Post:
baekwondo (November 22nd, 2011), Doodlydoo (December 28th, 2012), Hawker (February 9th, 2012), lcsolano (November 14th, 2011), Pinmac1 (July 24th, 2012), t_e_d (November 17th, 2011), wisconsindesi (October 4th, 2011)