This guide is to help those with broken screens or buttons that do not work get unrooted for insurance repair/replacement. I have only tried this using Amon RA 2.3. I am not sure if the same commands will work with CWM.
1. First download this
file and unzip it on your desktop. It contains the files necessary to run adb commands from the command line and the s-on tool necessary to push to the SD card.
2. Now download the appropriate RUU for your hboot and place it on your desktop. Depending on your baseband version(radio) you may need to go with a higher Hboot RUU. If in doubt, download the RUU for 2.10.
RUU for Hboot 2.10
RUU for Hboot 2.02
RUU for Hboot .97 and lower
3. Go to your desktop and open the folder that you unzipped. Double click on the file named adb.exe. It will open a command window for a brief time then close it. You now have ADB commands available in your command prompt when you are in the adb_s-on folder.
4. At this point you need to open a command prompt by going to your start menu and searching command prompt or click on “Run” and type cmd. You now need to change the directory you are in. To do that you will need to copy the directory info you are currently in and place it after a “cd” command.
The command prompt will look like this:
C:\users\(your user name)>
Type this after the command prompt: cd \users\(your user name)\desktop\adb_s-on
If you unzipped the file on your desktop, this should get you to that folder.
5. Plug your phone in via usb cable.
6. Type adb devices. If your device is listed, then you have the correct drivers and a good connection to your phone.
7. The next steps will push the s-on tool to your sdcard, reboot your phone to recovery, flash the s-on tool, then reboot your phone so that you can run the RUU from your pc to finish unrooting.
Type these as written and hit enter at the end of each line:
Adb push unrevoked-forever-son.zip /sdcard/unrevoked-forever-son.zip
Adb shell “echo ‘boot-recovery’ > /cache/recovery/command”
Adb shell “echo ‘--update_package=SDCARD:unrevoked-forever-son.zip’ >> /cache/recovery/command”
Adb shell “reboot recovery”
If you can see your screen, wait til it gets done and then type: adb shell “reboot”
If you can not see your screen, give it a couple minutes then type: adb shell “reboot”
8. Unplug your phone. Run the RUU and plug in your phone when instructed. When the RUU is finished, your phone should be back to “out the box” stock.
For those that rooted using Toast's method or Simpleroot (not unrevoked in any flavor), you can just run the RUU to get unrooted. If you are unsure, check your bootloader and if it says ENG S-off then you do not need to flash the s-on tool first as the RUU will over write your current hboot to return it to stock.
Credits to come. Any questions or issues, feel free to ask. We are here to help.